1971/72 125 Scrambler "Renata" (Rebirth)

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

J-Man

1971/72 125 Scrambler "Renata" (Rebirth)

Postby J-Man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:23 am

Hello, it's about time I introduce myself, James, and my new project bike, a 1971/72 125 Scrambler, the title/Bill of Sale says it's a 72(the advert and price tag said 71), and was told its actual displacement is 160, but I've found nothing on the bike so-far that has a date, or can confirm the displacement increase.
Engine stamp "DM125" "204XX" frame stamp at the head "DM125S*1253XX*"
What I've pieced together is that the 125's from this time period are uncommon, and somewhat different, the engine looks more like a narrow case in that the clutch cable enters the case.(Spanish made N-C)
I've measured the forks, they are 32.1mm(Edit: 32mm), I do have to confirm that measurement, the forks and shocks are Marzocchi, the tank it came with is incorrect, it was just sitting on it, it came from a Chaparral motorcycle from the similar time period, I have a replacement tank being shipped as I type this, I just hope its useable as there is some rust(some dents, 1 pin hole which was fixed), I'm still looking for both fenders(still looking) and side panels(found), plus a seat cover(in progress) or the whole seat.
I'm also not sure on what oil seal and gasket sets to get.

The rims are: mismatched so I believe one was damaged, I may mount alloy rims to reduce weight.
Front: PIETRO BERETTA & C BARANZATE(MILANO) W/ Nitto 2.75-19 (a replacement I believe)
Rear: RADAELLI SAS - MILANO W/Pirelli 3.50-18 Motocross
I have a few pictures... I know it may sound like an odd duck, but from my research and while taking it apart it does sound correct....
The brochure:
A side shot: (an XL70 in the background, my mom's old bike, will be restored next)
One of the better shots of the frame, just before I pulled the motor, the swing-arm is seized to the rod, heat did nothing, it will have to be cut out, I'm deciding if I want to convert to roller or go back with bronze bushings, but with grease fittings where there were none.(silly engineering)
The gauges: love them, with what I believe to be the correct mileage, the sprockets and chain(Regina) look relitivly new.
The motor:
The Carb: "Amal 375 20" which I deduced to mean a 20mm bore, not sure which gasket to get yet. (I may get a different carb, a Dell'Orto UB20BS was on an early 125 sport, or a Keihin CR if I can find one the right size)

A few shots for DewCatTea-Bob: The wiring is a mess, good thing I'm an electrician, I removed the whole wiring harness as one whole, still attached to the headlight as I found it(I've since separated the guts from the shell for re-chroming), which was far easier than expected for further dissection, the hard part so far has been trying to find the correct wiring diagram for it, every one I've seen is slightly different(still haven't found an accurate diagram).
Sadly the headlight was not complete, a few parts are missing, the switch, and something that attaches to the 2 bolts on the lower right, but what? The main switch at the top has more connections than the drawing(7 I believe).
The closest wiring diagram:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/188 ... 45_o_d.jpg

Also mentioned in books
P42, 47
https://books.google.ca/books?id=PJ8ht7 ... 22&f=false

P224, 225, 228
https://books.google.ca/books?id=JaXQtj ... 22&f=false
Last edited by J-Man on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nick

Re: 1971/72 125 Scrambler "Renata" (Rebirth)

Postby Nick » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:13 am

Nice find! That brochure photo is fantastic - bet it sold a lot of bikes for them.

Never knew Amal made spigot-mount Monoblocs.
Put a Mikuni on it!

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 am

Thanks, from what I read, and the inscription confirms, the carb was made in Spain, along with a 5speed trans(not confirmed yet).

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:07 am

Hi James and welcome to the Forum.

Excellent machine! It is indeed a narrow case, the engine being built in Spain (your oil drain and filler plugs are typically Spanish, for example) with the bike being assembled in Italy (albeit using a Spanish Amal carb).

The frame is atypical for Ducati, being a duplex, full cradle. Made between in 1971 and 1972, they were (apparently) still in the sales catalogues up to 1974.

Nice!

Ciao

Craig

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Are the gaskets and oil seals from early N-C 125/160 compatible?

I'll repost this just in case it was missed in my first post:
I'm still looking for both fenders and side panels, plus a seat cover or the whole seat.
I'm also not sure on what oil seal and gasket sets to get.
Same with the intake manifold gasket...

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:41 pm

You're going to have to use a number of gaskets for that engine.
The bottom end is similar to an Italian or a Spanish narrowcase motor as far as gaskets go.
The centre gasket may be different, though.
Check the oilway is clear by the opening for the cylinder when fitting.
The motor is similar to the narrowcase Spanish Road 250 regarding most internals.
The top end gaskets will be the same as 125's and 160's.
You may have to buy two gasket sets unless you can source them individually, or make them yourself.
The fenders and side panels do occasionally come up for sale.
They are similar to those fitted to the 450RT, although I would guess they are a bit smaller.

Jon

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, that was what I feared, a mix of different gasket sets, at least I have a clue going forward.
Anyone ever use these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUCATI-SILICONE ... 1899963551

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:24 am

Hi James

the Italian scrambler club Amici Dello Scrambler sells new sidecovers for the 125 Scrambler . 85 euro a set of 2

Eldert

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Another period photo, this time reproduced in Motociclismo's, La Storia della Ducati.

And this one from Marc Poels', l'Histoire de Ducati
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

J-Man

Postby J-Man » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:47 am

Eldert wrote:Hi James

the Italian scrambler club Amici Dello Scrambler sells new sidecovers for the 125 Scrambler . 85 euro a set of 2

Eldert

Thanks for the heads-up pointing me in the right direction, it took a little while navigating and registering/joining, but I now have a pair of number plates on order, one less thing to look for.

I also came across a blog post for another 125, I've emailed the blog host in the hopes that there is a parts list for gaskets, seals, and bearings, which could cut my carpet bombing style of parts ordering closer to a pinpoint style.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”