Head / barrel oilway o-ring

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 am
Location: Tasmania Australia

Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring

Postby graeme » Mon Sep 21, 2026 10:37 pm

Hello Bill,
I have had similar oil leaks that I assumed were the same as you suspected.
But turned out to be from elsewhere.
Best way I found the exact culprit was to wash the engine with petrol or similar, dust talcum powder over everything then go for a short ride and look for the wet talcum powder.
The leak usually came from somewhere unsuspected
Wind and thin hot oil can move the oil to other places.
As I’m sure you know already.

Regards
Graeme

Duccout
Posts: 1588
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm
Location: Essex UK

Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring

Postby Duccout » Tue Sep 22, 2026 6:41 am

I'll second that! It is surprising where wind and capillary action will send the slightest leak.

Cheers,

Colin

blethermaskite
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:06 am
Location: Scotland

Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Sep 22, 2026 2:45 pm

You know I have seen so many mentions on here and other places about leaks from that wee head/barrel O ring, I must be super lucky with this I don't think I have ever had a Ducati single that leaked from there :) My 350 mk3 hasn't had the head off in the last 30 years :o and the last time it was I reused the O ring :shock: and its still bone dry......maybe the 'old' viton rubber was better stuff back then....Cheers George

Duccout
Posts: 1588
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm
Location: Essex UK

Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring

Postby Duccout » Tue Sep 22, 2026 5:58 pm

Hi George,

I have never had a leak from there in over 50 years of Ducati ownership. I wonder if the machining on the heads could be variable, leading to some leaks, although smearing silicone over the o ring should take care of it.


Cheers,

Colin


Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 152 guests