Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: Strada Camshaft Oil Ways

Postby Duccout » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 am

I'm not a good patient either! I can't stand hanging around, and when I broke my foot and spent six weeks on crutches I had to learn how to relax and ask for help; but it's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Bevel twins are very fragile in the event of an 'off' due to the tiny footrests and clip-ons, all they have to slide on is the engine covers and tank. I've only been off a bevel twin once (touch wood) and that was my 750 Sport at high speed on gravel, but I was lucky, I went down on a grass verge, so the damage was minimal (to me and the bike).

I remember seeing a guy come off his 900SS at Paddock Hill Bend at Brands years ago, when he ground the exhaust pipe, and the damage was unbelievable - ground through timing cover, smashed fairing, broken clip-on, dented tank, completely smashed Conti silencer, just carnage; poor bloke had a very expensive race!

My sister's partner recently broke his collar bone when cycling on the pavement in the dark and ran into a road sign at chest height. He called an ambulance, but one never arrived, so he cycled home (with the bone grating and crunching) and got my sister to drive him to A+E.

Good luck.

Colin

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:28 pm

Bummer,,,,
Get well soon Craig.

Graeme

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:00 am

Latest installment: I had to get the other rocker refaced ( it was OK, but after running the engine, chrome began flaking off) which came back yesterday (thanks Phil Joy) fitted that, and a new pilot jet in the carb, new battery and sorted out a tool kit ( pessimistic who me?) and started her up. So, now I am ready for a proper road test next week, the moment of truth!

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:24 pm

If you take a reasonable tool kit you won’t need it.
If you don’t have tools odds are you will need them

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 am

Well, I tried to give the bike a decent run today. First problem was that it would not start....Deja Vu - pilot jet blocked again with sludge; not sure what I can do about it as I have filters on both taps, but it is a real pain to get the pilot jet out in situ.

Finally got started and off we went, but the engine started misfiring. I carried on hoping that it would clear, but it did not. Then an awful clanking started from the rear end, which put me in a dilemma - stop to see what the noise was, and risk the engine cutting out, or get home asap and hope that the chain did not wrap itself around something. To make matters worse, my expensive Speedo has packed up!

Made it home OK and found that the eccentric chain adjustment had moved slackening off the chain; last time the chain had tightened rigidly. I don't know how I can stop this because the pinch bolts that lock the eccentrics are supposed to be just nipped up enough to hold things in place; I've tightened them up a bit more, but I'm worried that a PO has overtightened them. I have got to investigate the mis-fire; it is probably ignition, but it did not do it on my first ride and since then I have corrected the valve timing and set the valve clearances to the recommended 2-4 thou. The oil leaks seem to have stemmed on the timing side, but are still pretty bad on the clutch side, probably coming from the cam bearing support, which is in a right state. The Speedo never worked when I got the bike so I've fitted a new worm drive and speedo head, and it was working at first.

George

Postby George » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:43 am

Sorry to hear your woes Colin. Would in-line filters on fuel pipes help carb.
George Essex UK

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:03 am

So what I have done a couple of times now with sludge/rust dust in a fuel tank is take the tap out and remove the filter mesh, then temporarily fit in its place a 3 inch long bit of copper pipe (I think I 2 pack epoxyed mine in) then fit a couple of inch,s of wire filter mesh on the open end of this little stand pipe (just bind it on with copper wire), this lifts your fuel entry point to the tap well away from the rubbish in the bottom of the tank, It will at least remove questions about jet blockages while you are getting everything else sorted. Obviously you will need to keep the fuel level in the tank pretty high for this.
Cheers,
George

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 am

Spit and damn, Colin …

So I guess the Strada use the same chain tensioning system as the Bologna twins ? (My Vento uses snail cams on the rear axle, see).
Hmmm ... I can understand your reluctance to go too hard on the clamp bolts. Once stripped, those b****rds will have to be repaired = engine out? But I don’t see how you can avoid taking the risk …

No chance the misfire isn’t just related to this crap in the carb? And where’s it coming from anyways? Is it a steel tank on the Strada?

Maybe Jon’s got a spare speedo? At least to try …

How frustrating!

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 am

Thank you for the replies, it is good to share my woes!

George in Essex, I already have in-line filters fitted.

George in NI, the taps actually have copper pipes fitted as standard, probably about three inches long.

Craig, yes steel tank, and the mis-fire could be related to the crap in the tank.

First off, the problem with the Speedo is due to the new cable inner being too small at the wheel drive end. I don't know what can be done about this - the cable is a new Lacey item and the worm drive is new. The new cable measures 2.55 mm and the old Spanish cable measures 2.65 mm, so has anyone got any ideas? Is there any way to take out the slack?Maybe I need a Spanish-made cable? As for the mis-fire I will have to check over the points and see if they are OK and then the carb. The fuel in the float bowl resembles soup, so very fine particles must be getting past the filters. It is strange how it blocks the pilot jet, because the particles seem very fine, but the jet gets blocked by a sort of dry dust. Actually, could the in-line filters be blocked causing the mis-fire? Better check that first!

It is very difficult to clean what appears to be fine sand out of the tank because the fuel taps screw into sleeves welded into the tank and the filler cap neck protrudes down into the tank, so there is always a certain amount of fluid left in the tank when I swill it out. I could flush the tank out with the hose, which I did originally, but that leaves the problem of how to get out the pint of water that remains trapped in there?

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:12 pm

If you get the tank empty and dry blast the hell outa it with compressed air. My last 250 desmo/ mk3 tank was like yours and massive amounts of air blasting at high pressure cleaned it out, however one of my mates swears by using a hot pressure washer through the filler neck first then compressed air.
Cheers,
George

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”