Help identifying front forks

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DuranMendoza

Help identifying front forks

Postby DuranMendoza » Thu May 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi everyone,

New person to the group.

I bought this bike a few years back, and have been riding around a bit on the bike. I am looking to restore the bike while doing some maintenance, and just want to make sure I am using the right parts for the bike.

Can anyone help me identify the front forks? I think they are Ceriani's, and from what I have looked up they are from english style bikes (BSA, Triumph, etc.). Were these ever used for Ducati 450's in the US? If I were to replace / switch these out, would I be able to keep the Stanchions (35 mm) and replace the sliders, if that were the case? Any recommendations on what to use that would be the correct slider for a 1969 Ducati 450 SCR? Thanks

Also I have included a picture of my tail light mounting bracket. It has a crack in it, and while it will work for now, I have been searching for a replacement. Does anyone know shop / area that might have this tail light bracket.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

Duran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duccout

Re: Help identifying front forks

Postby Duccout » Fri May 29, 2020 4:48 am

The forks look like Aermacchi HD 250/350 forks.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Fri May 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Could it be from a Laverda 750 SF1?

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Fri May 29, 2020 5:54 pm

Those forks/ sliders are ceriani, @35mm dia they are probably scrambler/dirt bike forks, aermacchi road bike fork sliders look like yours but are smaller than 35mm I think 32mm? Can you not just get your tail lamp bracket welded? they all crack eventually (rubber mount it next time)
Cheers,
George

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Fri May 29, 2020 8:57 pm

If the fork tubes are 35mm, they are Ceriani motocross forks. Some Spanish marks used them as well as Penton. The Aermacchi/HD forks look identical but the tubes are 30mm. Laverda used a version of the 35mm motocross forks on 750 twins but with detail differences. An early W/C SCR would have had 35mm Marzocchi forks originally. You could probably fit the Marzocchi slider to the Ceriani tube but the SCR forks are quite long as is the slider. Might be incompatible due to the Ceriani tubes being too short.

DuranMendoza

Postby DuranMendoza » Sat May 30, 2020 12:31 am

To all,

Thank you very much for the help.

Double Diamond,

Do you think if I were to purchase and use Ceriani sliders (non motocross) that come on some scramblers and desmo models? Would those be able to accommodate the shorter length? Also, the sliders work well, and I don't have any issues or leakage. Would you or others recommend to keep these on the scrambler, or is there a better front suspension for the SCR? I hear that the Marzocchi can be a bit squishy.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Duran

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sun May 31, 2020 11:12 am

a Ceriani fork uses a 8mm bolt to screw the slider to the demperrod .

a Marzocchi fork uses a M12 bolt .

Eldert

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:47 pm

Unless you’re restoring to original, I would leave the Ceriani fork on. They’re good forks, installed as an upgrade when still in production, period and model appropriate.

DuranMendoza

Postby DuranMendoza » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:57 pm

Double Diamond,

Thanks for the reply. I am not looking to restore 100% to original, just looking to make some minor changes here and there. Thanks for the advice, and I think I will keep them on. If they are Ceriani's, that is helpful to know so I can at least get the appropriate dust boots for the forks.

Thanks,
Duran

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”