175TS with 125S engine project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ducwiz

Re: Just Joined 160TS Project

Postby ducwiz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:13 am

Ready for download:

english workshop manual: https://www.sendspace.com/file/kma0yh
english spares catalog: https://www.sendspace.com/file/8gs5jy
spanish spares catalog: https://www.sendspace.com/file/sn26aj
175TS parts book: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ls2a1q

And an older link to the Clymer mnaual, may also be useful: http://www.motoscrubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2921&p=21754&hilit=clymer#p21754

Hans

George

Postby George » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks Hans you are a star
George Essex UK

George

Postby George » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:35 pm

Not having any luck with bevel tube removal. It seems to move about 4 mm then jams. I am beginning to think the only answer is to cut through the tube to see what the problem is. Cheaper than destroying bevel gears. Top bevel bearing looks like it's been revolving in head housing. With bottom flange bolts removed complete assembly moves up and down. When bottom flange is bolted down there is a steel part protruding from bottom of crankcase casting. Tried using bolts to shift tube without budging. Photos added as hard to explain never having seen one apart. Hope this is not the first sign of a difficult restoration. If I have to destroy tube would anyone have one to spare.
Comments / advice very welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Essex UK

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:49 pm

Hello George

I'm sure I have a spare tunnel if desperation sets in, as I've broken a few 160 motors.

I would try fabricating a plate to bolt to the top of the tunnel. Then if you have one mount a slide hammer to the the centre of that plate and give it a good tug! I would be surprised if it doesn't give in. You will need to re tighten the lower flange to secure the lower bevel so you are pulling the joints. If I'm not making this clear, give me a call.

Regards Nigel

George

Postby George » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:27 pm

Thanks for the tip Nigel. I will give it a try before getting the hacksaw out. If all else fails at least I know I can buy a replacement off you
George Essex UK

George

Postby George » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:23 pm

Top bevel gear is out. Slide hammer did not help at first, had to cut bevel tube and apply heat to coupling sleeve and then use slide hammer. Coupling sleeve is still fixed to bottom bevel shaft almost touching circlip. Will ponder that problem tomorrow. Top bevel bearing was very worn and I am wondering if shaft was fitted on to coupling with a large hammer. Sleeve has three green painted dots. Good news is gears look in good condition.
The reason I started this five minute (three days) job was to remove head and check piston and bore. Found broken gudgeon pin circlip, damaged piston and top oil ring. Bore not worn but damaged rebore required. According to manual standard bore is 55.2mm 4th and maximum over size 56.2mm. My piston is stamped L2 56.50. Would anyone advise if it would be OK to have piston made over size by Piston King or similar and bore existing liner.
Any opinions what the maximum a liner should be over size.
I will be doing a complete strip down soon but rough check feels like big end and small end bearings in good condition. Still get the impression that PO did a poor job on engine.
To late with PO: NEVER REPLACE USED GUDGEON PIN CLIPS.
George Essex UK

George

Postby George » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:51 pm

forgot to mention perhaps I should be looking for new liner and piston.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Hi George,

Well done! I am only too familiar with the five minute (three day job).

The top bevel bearings do tend to wear badly, possibly due to wobbly shafts. I have never come across a bevel shaft stuck at the Oldham's coupling before, but there is a first time for everything. I think that your cheapest option may be to find a barrel and have it bored to fit your piston and fit new rings, or have the barrel relined. There are a lot of parts for your engine available in Spain, which may end up on eBay, and I think that Mick Walker had a lot of 160 spares that Nigel Lacey may have inherited. I believe also that Giovanni Gentile in Holland has a lot of 160 stuff.

George

Postby George » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:28 pm

I have emailed moderator to ask if post subject could be altered as it is misleading. I have a 125S engine in a 175TS bike.
If this cannot be done to avoid confusion I will start new post
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:12 pm

George, there is a 125 piston on eBay that is listed as being 59.6 mm, I wonder if that would work in your engine? The barrel sleeves in these engines are very thick, so it may be OK. We need a 125 - 160 - 175 expert to advise!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”