Ducati Single - Help Identifying

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

OLDNMATCHLESS

Ducati Single - Help Identifying

Postby OLDNMATCHLESS » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:00 am

Hello:

Thanks for ad.

This is my first post. I was given a Ducati single as a gift by my brother. He bought a shed full of cycles and there was a Ducati single in the bunch. I asked about buying it and he said I could have it if I wanted.

I am a Brit bike guy and will admit that I know zero about Ducati bikes! Other than I like the looks of them.

I'm not sure what year it is but I think it is a 65 by the serial number (DM250 102589).

What throws me is the tank looks like it is off of a 1962 or 1963 Scrambler (maybe somewhat of a bitsa bike).

Any idea what I have? A 1965 Scrambler with a 62-63 tank? I have the headlight and some various other pieces.

Thanks!

Rick

krupp13

Re: Ducati Single - Help Identifying

Postby krupp13 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Post some more pics. Great tank!

OLDNMATCHLESS

Postby OLDNMATCHLESS » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks Krupp!

I will try and post some more pictures this weekend as I need to get it out of the shed where it was recently unloaded (lots of other bikes in the way!).

My thought is that it is a scrambler as it has the three wire loom off of the alternator, the short scrambler chain guard, gators over the rear shocks and the scrambler exhaust pipe. Also, it is a narrow case motor.

The only thing that doesn't add up is the serial number. However, in looking at the site that has serial numbers listed there is one '63 model scrambler shown that has a serial number near mine. So I'm wondering if I'm putting too much faith in the model year of other serial numbers shown in that database.

The headlight I have is the teardrop type not the pancake that I have seen pictured on '63 models.

Rick

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi Rick and welcome to the Forum,

For someone who claims to know nothing about Ducatis I reckon you're off to a flying start!

OLDNMATCHLESS wrote: The only thing that doesn't add up is the serial number. <snip>

I see your confusion ... :) . While the tank looks 1962-63 Scrambler, your engine number, according to Ian Falloon, fits into the 1966-67 Scrambler production run (engine numbers 92172 to 104500). Interestingly, those bikes also came with the tear drop headlight, btw, not the pancake.

So, BIG question: how many gears have you got in the box?

Craig

OLDNMATCHLESS

Postby OLDNMATCHLESS » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Here are a couple more pictures. I will get it pulled out this weekend and take some more.

Thanks!

Rick

thebossdj

Postby thebossdj » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:47 am

Nice find!

Also interesting is the front forks or at least top triple tree are not the kind that come with the narrow case scramblers

Thanks for posting

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 am

The very last 250 and 350 narrowcase scramblers built in 1967 came with the 35mm forks that were later used on the widecase machines.
Ducati produced a thin supplement to the full 250/350 parts list that just covered the 35mm forks.
There's a nice photo of such a bike in the Moto Ciclismo book on the Ducati Scramblers.
This could help date Rick's bike, especially as it appears to have a late 5-speed engine number.

Jon

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:05 am

Jon Pegler wrote:<snip> There's a nice photo of such a bike in the Moto Ciclismo book on the Ducati Scramblers.

Seeing as my scanner is on ... :)

OLDNMATCHLESS

Postby OLDNMATCHLESS » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:50 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

So, all the evidence “narrows” it down to be a late ‘67 with an earlier gas/petrol tank.

I definitely like the looks of the ‘67 and am happy it is a 5 speed.

The only thing I need to find now is a ‘67 tank. I see some alloy India made tanks, but am not sure about quality.

Regards,

Rick

thebossdj

Postby thebossdj » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 am

Thanks for sharing that Jon, thought I had a large knowledge of narrow case bikes. I learned something new!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”