SSi remote float.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

SSi remote float.

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Finally got round to fitting a remote float to my SSI29D , thought I had all the bits,but according to the parts lists it appears I need a special base nut that allows the fitting of a fuel banjo to the carb base. Guzzino appear to be selling a 2 piece one that they state is good for fixed or remote,however that appears to be much the same as the one I have holding on my std float, What have I missed??.

DBDBrian

Re: SSi remote float.

Postby DBDBrian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:15 pm

I don't think you are missing anything Bob, the banjo section on the fixed chamber, and the separate Dell-Orto banjo for the remote chamber, are the same dimensions.
Brian
Made in England

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks Brian, the Dellorto drawings do show a different part ,but I can't see the reasoning. If it all fits and works ,I will be happy. No matter what I do I can't get the fixed float chamber properly vertical and I have always thought that was not ideal. I expect to still get the rich/weak effect when leaning the bike which usually happens when waiting in traffic with the left foot down, serve us right for driving on the wrong side of the road. No problem when in Italy.Just have to get me and bike there.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:47 pm

I am now running with the remote , the motor seems to run better , most likely due to the old fixed chamber being very worn in the needle seat. the remote is new old stock. I have read that to check the level you just lean the bike about 10 degrees to the right and fuel should seep from the pilot hole.Tickover still unreliable and I am thinking off putting some soft solder blobs on the bottom edge of the slide to hold it up a bit.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Solder on the slide to adjust idle? There should be an idle adjustment rod installed in the cap of your carb that engages a slot in the slide to set slide position.

In the "Tech" section of this site there is an SSI tuning manual. This manual describes the procedure for setting float level on the remote float bowls.

Matt

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Yes Matt, its there,but I find it is unreliable and inaccessible with a Mach 1 tank. It also appears to pull unevenly on the slide . I tested the tilt method to set the fuel level and it appears to work without the need for made up fittings and bits of pipe . It can also allow you to check the fuel level on the road without even leaving the saddle. I think the better running comes from better control of the fuel level with new parts and seems to be most noticable at small throttle positions.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”