Oil pump screws

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Oil pump screws

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Sorry for all the daft questions..... Having learned that lock-wires on the crankcase screws are not needed to keep them tight, is this also the case for the oil pump? Mine still had a "Ducati" embossed lead seal, which I've had to cut off to have a look inside. All seems good and measures up within tolerances in the book, so I can reassemble.

graeme

Re: Oil pump screws

Postby graeme » Sun May 27, 2018 9:30 pm

The lock wires on the oil pump are to keep the screws from coming undone.
Unlike the crankcase lock wire which is only a seal to tell if the cases have been split or factory sealed.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon May 28, 2018 12:29 pm

I have opened a few ducati single engines and found no locking wire on the oil pump screws and they were still all tight, however I would never run one of these engines without lock wiring the pump screws and for good measure I also put a little loctite thread locker on the screws as well! better safe than sorry!
Cheers,
George

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Mon May 28, 2018 1:33 pm

The late Spanish built singles, the Stradas, Forzas and Ventos, relied on spring washers alone, without lock wire.
I've not seen one come loose.

Jon

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Mon May 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Seems to enough mixture of opinion....so I'll buy myself a wire locking kit. Don't seem to be very expensive.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”