Indicators on a Mach1

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Indicators on a Mach1

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 am

Has anyone done this ? My 250 is actually a Mark3 but is In Mach1 trim. Don't really like the look but survival is more important. Thinking LED type.

Jordan

Re: Indicators on a Mach1

Postby Jordan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:07 am

Sadly, I agree, having had a close call at a roundabout with a driver that had no idea what my hand-signalling was all about.
See here for widecase factory supplied indicators:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ducati-250- ... SwMlRajPu3

I think rare. I've only ever seen them once, on a Silver Shotgun 250 owned by my cousin, early '70s.
Gives an idea on how to possibly replicate them for a convincingly period look maybe.

If making your own using LEDs, don't use clear white LEDs behind amber lenses. When on, they look - white, oddly - as if the lens isn't there. Use orange LEDs.

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:31 am

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Hi Guys, The ends of the bars are for mirrors (the fully folding type) I'm thinking more on the headlight bolts and a strip bracket across the back of the rear light, plastic really won't do so something in alloy or chrome, more to the point will need a very nifty small switch to handle horn/dip/indicators.

Ducadini

Postby Ducadini » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:26 am

I think that the ends of the bars aren't such a good idea. They tend to vibrate a bit ;) ;).
I've seen them on German SS's in the 70's and 80's but those engines tended to run VERY smooth :lol: :lol:
Since "The Law" has specific measurements and dimensions for them, I think it's easier to fit them on a bracket under the headlamp ?

I stopped riding on the "I hope he/she did see me principle" long ago. I just KNOW the don't care and act accordingly.

ciao
ducadini

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am

Very true

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Ducadini wrote:I think that the ends of the bars aren't such a good idea. They tend to vibrate a bit ;) ;).
I've seen them on German SS's in the 70's and 80's but those engines tended to run VERY smooth :lol: :lol:
Since "The Law" has specific measurements and dimensions for them, I think it's easier to fit them on a bracket under the headlamp ?

I stopped riding on the "I hope he/she did see me principle" long ago. I just KNOW the don't care and act accordingly.

ciao
ducadini

Vibrations were no problem for me while using them with the clip-ons on my 350M3D, for ~30000km. OK, occasionally one of the soffite bulbs failed. This was more or less gone after I made a 6->12V conversion.
But, as the HELLA originals are made of some brittle light alloy, one or more of the clamping tongues/lugs easily break off, if the indicator's clamping-stub does not make a tight fit in the handlebar. The present design (non-HELLA pattern items) where the clamping effect is performed by compressing a rubber sleeve seems to offer a more durable solution.
Here in Germany, these indicators are street legal, as long as the bike was for the first time registered for a number plate, before Jan 1st. 1987.

cheers Hans

el_guru

Postby el_guru » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:57 pm

I saw a novel solution by a vintage bike owner.
He attached direction indicators on top of the shoulders of his riding jacket.
The bike looked alright.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:36 am

Hi Jordan, You might think thats a comic solution,but I could take you seriously, after all I did have a Dan Dare Stadium "Turbo" spinning Visor That was so effective I ignored the "are you from Mars ?" comments. :lol:

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”