Fork strip

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Bevel bob

Re: Fork strip

Postby Bevel bob » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks brian, I'm fully in the picture now, Its possible I can re machine the valve housing and ball seatings ,although much knocked about ,they don't need to look good,only work. Bicicle shops stock the balls.Classic Ducati have some bits.Your photos are the first I have seen that clearly show all . This site is a great place for data and I wanted to add something usefull for those that follow. Dew-cat-e-bob is still here, if only in spirit. Thankyou all for your input.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am

Hi brian, Those fork stampings are a puzzle, on my 69 registered Mark3 the stampings clearly indicate production 12 ----66 ie December 1966 the bike was probably exported to the uk early 67 it has been re-registered and the licence plate number replaced with a 69 . I always knew it had to be a 66 or 67 spec bike. Hopefully someone can shed some light on yours.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 am

I have assembled the forks and filled with Mercedes Benz AT fluid (Just because I have it but no longer have the car!), The Damping is now considerable and I'm curious if others have found it necessary to leave out some of the bearings?.Also not yet worked out how to pull the legs up into the top yoke(left the yokes on the frame) .Perhaps putting the bike back on its wheels and use the weight. I know now why the previous mechanic left the small springs out.Will try a ratchet tie down strap to tension things.Really looking forward to trying the bike with new tyres AND fork damping,luxury!!.

howlndog

Postby howlndog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Bevel bob wrote:...not yet worked out how to pull the legs up into the top yoke(left the yokes on the frame).

There are a couple of DIY tools on this site you may find useful. "Joe Tokarz's DIY tool" at the bottom of the page worked for me.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzz ... _tool.html
Derek
'70 350 Mark 3D

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

The year stamp reference for fork sliders applies to the “DUCATI” forks. These forks were left bare aluminum (slider unpainted). The “MARZOCCHI” fork installed on earlier models (175/200) did not have a year of manufacture stamped on them. These forks were typically painted the color of the frame. The significance stamping on the MARZOCCHI fork is something of a mystery. The middle example in your pics looks like a DUCATI fork; the other two look like MARZOCCHI.

Matt

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks Derek, I already use a similar expanding rubber plug device for other things ,I just had not thought of it. I'm also interested in the Fluid spec, Brake fluid !, I can't imagine using that ,its lubricating quality , water absorption and ability to promote corrosion put it at the bottom of my list. The ATF I am using is probably too heavy grade .May try an SAE 10 fork oil. Walkers book says ATF for all.I constructed a leg puller from a 300mm length of 10mm studding a few nuts and washers ,a short length of 15mm copper pipe a 250 gearchange rubber and a plastic hand protector for a brick bolster.Most bits from Wickes Builders Merchants. It was really necessary ,dont think I could have done without.Cost less than £10.

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks Matt, It would all seem to be a bit of an Enigma. I have not scrutinized all three sets in minute detail for any signs of different manufacture, but they would all seem to be of identical design.

Bob, Have you considered light hydraulic oil.

Brian
Brian
Made in England

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:08 am

Hi Brian, Many products do not show an SAE number ,so dificult to experiment. To buy some SAE 20 oil I now go to a Farm shop as it does not seem to exist in the Motoring world now. Out on the bike tomorrow.

Buster

Postby Buster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:32 am

Hi Bob,
Fork OIL available in 7.5 -10- 15 and 20. Silkolene or PJ1 I found 20 way too heavy, 10 is perfect. In Mach1.
Available in UK online.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi Buster, your bike looks similar to mine, What front tyre is that?, I'm thinking of getting a new mudguard ,std if possible and concerned about clearance.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”