Choke madness

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

thebossdj

Choke madness

Postby thebossdj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:24 am

Hey group.

A while back there was a collection of all the kinds of tachometer drives available and used on the singles. Trying to get my resto done and have come across a delema. No idea a schematic on a choke/air lever. Not complex but have 4 different kinds of base and 2 variations of the same base. Anyone know a schematic? Anyone know what came on a U.K. Diana. Anyone know what these have come off of and or what fits what. These are in no particular order or inline with how they were disasmbled.

Thanks for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick

Re: Choke madness

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Can't offer much help, but I'll attach a photo I found somewhere on the web, maybe an auction, but I noted that it was supposed to be an original 51 miles bike, and it was called a Daytona, which might be the same as a UK Diana.
It looks like it has the rounded nose on the casting, like the 2 on the left side of your photo, and the lever with a ridge doesn't look familiar, so if you can get either of the 2 middle middle levers to fit the base on the left, you should be close. It looks like the bolt with the domed hex nut would be the right. I can't remember ever seeing a 1960's Ducati in the USA that still has the 'choke' lever on it- it wasn't really a choke, and I think most guys took them off.
Rick

daytona 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 pm

I just looked at your photo again, and the base on the left is countersunk, so it must mate to the dished cover, second from the left, and the round head screw, second from the left, so, it's a guess- it looks like the second from the left base might be the best match, but it looks worn or modified- hope someone else can help.
Rick

thebossdj

Postby thebossdj » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:07 am

Thank you for your help plus the pic. It would be great to see pics of other members choke styles.

Buster

Postby Buster » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi,
The choke on a 350 Mk3 1973 and 1964 Mach1.

The 350 is original, I can't be positive about the Mach1.

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:52 pm

If the model in question is a “UK Diana” this would make it a Daytona. The early 4 speed Daytona was the same as ROW Diana. The Diana was basically a Monza with different tin and the clip-on/smooth top clamp arrangement. These early Dianas employed a del’Lorto UBF24 carburetor which had a cable–operated choke slide to facilitate cold starts. So the lever in question is indeed a “choke lever”. The early bevel singles used the lever base that is second from left and either of the two middle levers (which appear to be the same). The appropriate cap would be the one on the left, which should have a chrome finish as on the two middle caps. The bolt that holds the whole assembly together is the chrome hex bolt on the left. This bolt threads into the base and should have a nut on the other end. The base should have a little pin cast into it on the bottom that fits into a corresponding hole on the brake perch. These pins are often sheared off. The spring and wave washer complete the assembly.

Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”