Twin sided front brake

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jordan

Twin sided front brake

Postby Jordan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 am

Does there exist a parts list for the 2xSLS brake as fitted to Ducati singles?

Specifically, I want to know if the speedo drive gears differ from the earlier 1xSLS drum brake.

Rick

Re: Twin sided front brake

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Jordan,
I have 2 of those brakes- neither brake has the speedometer 'worm' installed in the brake plate, one has the wormgear installed in the hub and the other hub is machined for the gear but doesn't have the gear.
The gears are usually caked in hard grease, but Veglia did stamp some part numbers on the gears. The single sided gears are Veglia part number: VEGLIA - RV - 440 - 002, and the gear in the double sided hub is: VEGLIA - 50 - 0803 - 002 - 0.
The gears are the same OD, ID and depth- both are 21 tooth, so my guess is the single sided and double sided parts will interchange.
Rick

double sided 1LS.jpg

single sided 1LS copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:44 am

Thanks for the info Rick.
I think it's likely the larger gear is the same part on both the early and late drum brakes, although tooth count may vary according to wheel size.
However, I suspect there may be a difference in the smaller pinion that connects with the speedo cable.
The variation I want to confirm is the angle of the helical teeth.
I'm getting undue wear on my 4 shoe brake's speedo pinion.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:56 am

Photo of brake here is a 4LS variant, not standard Ducati equipment.
The angle of the speedo output shaft is markedly greater than that on the single sided, SLS brake.
I'd like to know if the angle is similar to that on the double sided, twin leading + twin trailing brake, as fitted to late Ducati drum brake models.
Documentation seems scarce. Could someone with the 2L2T brake please have a look and let me know if their speedo output angle looks like mine?
Any Silver Shotgun owners here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”