Moderator: ajleone

MotoMike

Re: Mototrans 350

Postby MotoMike » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:05 pm

kartagines wrote:differences Mototrans Spanish Road and Italian Scrambler:
Chassis:
Gas tank:

Kartagines
what are you saying in your pictures? the up turned tail loop. is that specific to the Italian or spanish?
the raised loop under the seat? Italian or Spanish?
and what are you saying about the tank?
thanks Mike

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 pm

My Mototrans has the slight upturn in the rear loop and the raised bracket to hold the rear fender. The knobs on the side hold the seat. My tank does not mount with the ears shown in the picture, but on two bayonets on the frame with rubber bushings under the tank. The rear of the tank is held by a big rubber band that loops under the frame and attaches to two pins on the back of the tank. Another difference is the snail type adjusters for the rear wheel.

Pete

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:35 am

Doesn't your Moto Trans have chrome steel Spanish fork sliders?

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:43 pm

bettyann wrote:Doesn't your Moto Trans have chrome steel Spanish fork sliders?

That's right. Telesco suspension front and rear. The forks are 35mm.

Pete

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:22 am

There has been some discussion on my cycle in another thread, and I thought I would move it over here so as not to distract from the other topic. I had posted this picture of the engine

Dew Cat Tea Bob: I bought this about 2 yrs ago. If you have some knowledge of its history, I would like to know it. It has obviously been worked on and modified in the past. Some things like the rims, point to someone with some mechanical knowledge. Other things, like the 12v headlight on a 6v system, have me wondering.

Pete

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 am

Pete, I know this is an old post... But on the off chance you never did the cam swap bob suggested, and you still wish to do so let me know... As I have a 450 Scrambler camshaft, and we would both benefit from swapping camshafts. Also one question on your Carb. I don't know very many details on the mototrans motorcycles, but I did come across an Amal Concentric 930/68 Carb. in my dad's stash of duke parts that my brother and I have been sorting through, so as to catalog and acquire the needed parts to restore his 350 mark III desmo. I had assumed this carb. came from an Ossa, because we also found triple trees, forks, wheels from an Ossa (we believe) along side the carb in question. The Ossa was spanish too and from what I understand Amal had/has ? a factory in spain, and the majority of motorcycles built in spain back then where fitted with Amal carbs. So my question is, do you know what model your amal is, because it looks identical to the one I have here, also note if you know, does it have a steel lock ring that threads on to the o.d. of the inlet ( where a velocity stack, or air cleaner elbow would thread onto a dellorto equipped duke) I noticed this on mine, and had assumed someone used this as some kind of adapter but it may be that this is a factory mototrans carb, and that the ring I speak of is actually used as something to secure the air cleaner too. Any info would be appreciated... Bob may know this also if he still has his mototrans...

Joe
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:23 am

Many of the Mototrans machines had Amal carbs fitted, built under license in Spain.
The screw on collar that you describe was a standard fitting to many of them, allowing the fitting of an air filter hose.
There are differences between the Spanish Amals and the British ones.
Most of the Spanish ones have a noticable ridge along the front of the float bowl, requiring a different float bowl gasget.
Some Spanish Amals have Made in Spain cast into them, but not all.

Jon

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks Jon,

This one does not have the country of manufacture cast into it... The float bowl and carb body mating surfaces are totally flat, the shape of the float bowl is round with one flat side. also, if it matters, i noticed many people saying these do not have a choke, but this one i have does... it has a tickler also, but does indeed have 2 cable adjusters in the carb top, along with a "secondary" choke slide that slides up and down inside the primary slide... Im not sure if this is unusual or not.
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Most of the Spanish Amal Mk1 Concentric carbs have a convential choke slide.
Some of the carb bodies are cast to have a starter jet, but have the normal slide.
The joint face of the float bowl is flat, but some of the Spanish Amals have a ridge running up the front of the float bowl, from the drain plug to the joint face.
I'll see if I can include a photo of a Spanish Amal from a Ducati Strada. 27mm

Jon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Joe,

I have not done a cam swap yet. We should talk about it this fall. My Spanish Amal also uses a different float bowl gasket. There is a jet in the rim of the float bowl. To get a gasket for it, I ordered it from a Britbike place. They called it a Mk1.5. Mine is also missing the choke slide, but I think it originally had one because the bike came with the handlebar lever for one.

Pete

Return to “Mototrans Motorcycles”