Newbie here

This topic is now being included under "Ducati Singles Talk."

Moderator: ajleone

Singlethump

Newbie here

Postby Singlethump » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:28 am

Hi!
Just joined and my first post to learn more about the singles as I'm working on a friends Mtrans 250. It's a 'get it running' project that shouldn't be very involved as the machine is in good condition. I parked it overnight in the garage and it left a 6" puddle from the kick start shaft. Ok, push the O ring in and machine a thrust washer to hold it there. Then there is the bars can clobber the tank situation which made me paranoid. Back to the lathe to machine two caps to press on the steering stops to preclude that scenario!

Any tips and suggestions for these before I tromp on the kicker? I picked up a battery and deduced that the blue wire is the battery positive so I should be good to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Newbie here

Postby JimF » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:11 am

You could pull the cover over the bevel gears at the cam, above the tower and make sure it starts squirting like a gusher after the engine runs for a few seconds. Then shut down and put the cap back on. Some people install gear gazers to see the oil flow but a tach drive precludes using a gear gazer.

It's a very nice looking motorcycle, it's in incredibly good condition.

I need to fabricate some steering stops for my 250. Right now it's only the flange on the rubber grips that is protecting the tank from paint and dent damage from the clip-ons I installed.

Welcome to the forum.

Jim

Octane

Postby Octane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:34 am

Singlethump wrote:Any tips and suggestions for these before I tromp on the kicker?

Make sure to flip the foot peg up out of the way! :lol: (thats only caught me out once :oops: )

Welcome though. A lot of knowledgeable people on here (I'm not one of them) so don't be afraid to ask for advice!

Singlethump

Postby Singlethump » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

I made the steering stops and no more paranoia about crashing the tank. Lathed up a thrust washer for the kick shaft seal and not a drop!

I cleaned the Amal guts, cleaned the points,flooded the carb and it lit off on the first kick. A little idle circuit tweaking and it runs great. It is rich at steady throttle when around 3000 rpm but I won't drop the needle to clear that up. I figure a bit of excess fuel will help the valve seats live longer. The engine is very tight and quiet with minimal piston slap. Back to the owner it goes!

Thanks for your help guys.

Return to “Mototrans Motorcycles”