Timing on Forza 350 engine

This topic is now being included under "Ducati Singles Talk."

Moderator: ajleone

Fred340

Timing on Forza 350 engine

Postby Fred340 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 pm

P1120010.JPG
I have a late model 350 electric start engine and was wondering how a timing disc can be attached. Does it require some form of extension tool ? Please see the picture to look at the detail. At the moment the bike starts cleanly on the starter button and runs well but it also feels under geared with it's 38 tooth rear and 13 tooth front sprocket.New to this so if I need to give more information please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graeme

Re: Timing on Forza 350 engine

Postby graeme » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:02 am

Hi Fred,
Don't know the answer to your question but that's an interesting engine.
What's inside the left cover?
I would imagine the crank end may be the same as other wc engines?
But have a sprag of some sort and a chain to the starter gear?
Graeme

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 am

You can time the Forza engine in the same way as any other Ducati single.
A degree disc can be fitted for static timing by removing the plug in the clutch cover, at the end of the crankchaft.
There should be enough room to fit a timing tool for strobe timing, although you will have to make your own timing marks on the outside of the case as none are cast in as standard on Italian widecase singles.
Timing is set at 2.5-4 degrees static, with full advance at 28.5-30 degrees.
Before anyone else questions these figures, the late Mototrans auto advance unit has 26 degrees of advance, unlike the Italian 28 degrees.
The starter drive looks like this inside, with a sprag arrangement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fred340

Postby Fred340 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 am

Thankyou Jon for your very helpful answer, my other question was going to be about the lack of timing marks but you have covered it all. Great pictures. Do you make up your own gasket for the starter cover.

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi Fred,
Yes, I made up a gasket for the outer cover.
I doubt that anyone makes them any more, but they are very simple to make out of thin gasket paper.

Jon

Fred340

Postby Fred340 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi Jon
Thankyou , I think the existing gasket has been made out of a cereal box, must get some proper gasket paper.The new type of ethanol fuel has played havoc with my fibre glass tank and old Amal carb.Going to line the tank and get the Amal repair kit RKC593 for the R930 to replace all gaskets and get the ethanol resistant float after having it ultrasonically cleaned, hopefully the engine will run a bit better after this.
Regards
Fred

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Fred,

I think Amal are making ethanol resistant floats to fit their carbs now, so that may cure some of your problems.
Many of the Forza fuel tanks are made of steel, which would probably be a better long term cure than a sealant.
Wherabouts are you based?
There are quite a few tanks for sale in Spain for quite reasonable prices.

Jon

Fred340

Postby Fred340 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Jon
I have just ordered an upgraded Amal 930 float kit and gasket set which also has the 5 hole float chamber gasket,(amal part no 622/291) from Burlen fuels in the UK, so I can now strip, clean and put back together a cleaner carb so hope to get better running. I have been told that all Mototrans parts from Spain are very rare, so are tanks and other parts still available ? (although I have recently had my tank lined and treated for modern petrol). I live in SE England close to M25. The main problem I have had with the tank is using Italian petrol taps which don't fit the tank as well as the Spanish Ideal taps, I do have an old pair which I now need to get cleaned up!
I re-looked at the log book today and since the Forza was imported to the UK in 1999 from Spain it has had over SEVEN owners so no wonder the engine the bike came with was totally clapped out so the engine I have now came from another later Forza.

Fred

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed May 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi Fred,
PM sent.

Jon

Return to “Mototrans Motorcycles”