250 MK3D engine for sale

Moderator: ajleone

Gianni

250 MK3D engine for sale

Postby Gianni » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:16 am

I have an early 250 MK3D engine that is surplus to my needs. I bought it in 2005 from an ex-Ducati dealer in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
He advised that it was pulled from a newish MK3D that the owner crashed with only 500 miles on the clock. It looks it. The poor guy must have been
on his way to the dealer for its first service/oil change and ran into something hard. That is what happens when you want to be the first to arrive at the scene of an accident!

The engine looks virtually new. When I got it, I pulled a valve cover to make sure it was a desmo, buttoned it up, then I built a heavy-duty box out of 3/4" plywood, where it has sat ever since. From its engine number, I think that it is from a 1970 model bike. The primary cover doesn't have the
familiar hash mark for a timing indicator as found on most widecase primary covers, but rather what looks like a small pin prick. That should verify its vintage. The D'ellorto SS1 still has its paint intact, the head bolts still have the black coating, which I would think is some sort of phosphate corrosion treatment. The alternator cable is still quite flexible. This engine sat on a shelf under a bench for nearly all of its life prior to my purchase. The kicker is still nice and shiny, and the engine cover cadmium plated screws are still mostly rust-free. Tulsa gets humid in the summer (I would know, I used to live there), so the minor reddy-brown on some of the screws is from the indoor humidity, not exposure to the elements. This little gem is a work of industrial art, a museum piece really, you will not find a better example anywhere.

There are a couple of indications that the true mileage may be a bit more than 500 miles, I am thinking 1,500 + or -. The kicker where your boot rests when starting shows a bit of a polished appearance. The exhaust valve stem has a crust on it from leaded hi-test, which back then, had gobs of tetra-ethyl lead in it. If contacted by interested parties, I will happily supply loads of hi-rez pictures. I can also take a video/pics of the piston crown/cylinder wall with my endoscope for his/her inspection.

This engine was spendy back in 2005, it cost what I could (and did) buy a roundcase twin engine for (3 actually). I offer this item for $5,000 USD.

There are a few widecase bike bits I need, so the possibility for a partial trade exists, for those who possess what I need.

Ciao, Gianni

Return to “Classifieds: Ducati Parts/Accessories wanted or for sale”