Making gaskets

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

rospo

Making gaskets

Postby rospo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:09 am

I am going to make a gasket for the barrel / crankcase of my 450 MkIII. I have got some fairly thick gasket making material that a friend gave me, but I would prefer something a bit thinner. I imagine that the oil pressure can get quite high at times, and the reason I am doing this is that the metal gasket failed and allowed oil to escape. Can I just use a brown paper envelope? Does anybody have a favourite source of gasket making paper?

Jordan

Re: Making gaskets

Postby Jordan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:42 am

You can use paper or cereal box cardboard for gaskets, but they aren't designed for that use, and may tend to wick out oil.
Try an auto accessory /supplies shop for basic gasket paper. For really good stuff you might need to go to a race engine shop.
Would you consider using no gasket, just jointing compound? That's what some factories do. I haven't done that yet.

Jordan

Bevel bob

Re: Making gaskets

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm

This is a low pressure system so should not leak,check both case halves are meeting flat at the cylinder base.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”