Website/forum server upgrade on Monday 1/18

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Website/forum server upgrade on Monday 1/18

Postby JimF » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:03 am

Motoscrubs will be upgraded to a new, more secure and reliable platform on MONDAY, JANUARY 18, 2010. The upgrade will be at approximately 7:00PM CST. We anticipate an upgrade window of less than 12 hours.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Website/forum server upgrade on Monday 1/18

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Why? ... What will be the expected "upgrade"?
This has been working well (so far), just as it's been!
(I sure hope that this isn't going to be like one of those regretful times when something that gets fixed (when it wasn't really broke in the first-place), and the 'fix' is then what actually ends-up causing a real problem!)
I'll have my fingers-crossed !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:33 pm

I hope this upgrade goes smoothly.

I was trying to upload new stuff to the website and my file transfers weren't working. I checked my "usage" details and had a ton of disk space left (according to what I pay for.) I filed a service ticket thinking I was doing something wrong and hoping to get some help. Was up until 2:00 am trying to figure it out.

The web hosting company wrote back to me that the server's disk was full, that they cleaned up some files on the server's disk and my files transfers should start working again. And they told me that MotosScrubs' server was an old Linux box. They saidthey would migrate the website, DNS and everything else to a new server for free. The new server is supposed to be faster and more reliable.

Supposedly, other than the down time, everything will come back up just as it used to be...

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Website/forum upgrade

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:45 am

____ I had thought that there might be more to it than that.
Other than the down-time, there shouldn't be any notable changes then.

__ I had sorta hoped that there would also be some kind of advantages upgrade to look forward to as well. _ Such as a tree-structure to better handle all the threads which are fastly building-up. _ Cuz such an orderly structure would more logically arrange the accumulation of diverse TOPICs, (for easier filing & hunting!).

GoodCheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:14 pm

This post serves two purposes -

The first is to see if the list is still working post-server upgrade.

The second is to address Bob's comment about a possible tree structure.

We could set up a tree structure. My concerns are that when faced with a tree structure the forum's users have to click on the limbs to see all the new postings. While this is fine if you are looking for a specific topic, it would likely impede someone from happening upon another user's new topic of which they have knowledge they can contribute.

The current structure means you log in and see all the topics, freshest first, and perhaps you see a chance to contribute knowledge or information to another member in a timely fashion.

Similarly my concerns are that users find it easy to check in on the list in a few seconds rather than having to click around. I personally like to log in quickly and see all new activity, and then log off just as fast.

The search function may be the way to go for finding topics of interest. Or perhaps we work together to combine specific threads and build 'topic specific' web pages out of the information.

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Duc Singles Admin wrote: I personally like to log in quickly and see all new activity, and then log off just as fast.

I'm right there with you on this one. A tree structure would be very unappealing to me, and judging by the total lack of forums set up that way, I think a lot of others would agree.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 pm

DesmoDog wrote:I'm right there with you on this one. A tree structure would be very unappealing to me,

X2
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”