Tank Support Pads

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Lonestar

Tank Support Pads

Postby Lonestar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 am

Hello all,

I'm about ready to install my refinished tank, and it seems I don't have the two support pads that should be beneath it. The helpful parts book says that one is 70x50x3mm and the other 70x130x20mm (for a Mach 1, which I'm emulating, although I don't think the tank is an original Mach 1 type).

Questions -

Am I correct in guessing that the small thin pad fits on the strap that crosses the tunnel?

And that the longer & thicker pad goes in front of the strap, resting against the tunnel itself?

What material should these be made from?

Here's the underside of the tank (before refinishing):

006.JPG

Thanks,

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Tank Support Pads

Postby JimF » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:46 pm

I think that tank is externally the same as a Mach 1/Mark 3 tank, but the tanks for those two models differ in that they are indented on the underside directly above the carburetor otherwise there would be interference between the tank and carb. I presume that the 29mm carb is taller than say a 27mm, otherwise would'nt all Ducati tanks need an indent?

Or perhaps the angle of some intake manifolds caused the carb to be elevated on some bikes...

Your bike is looking great.

Do you know what carb you are running with and will it clear the tank? I just want you to be careful since you don't want to scratch up the freshly painted tank.

As for the pads I found some semi-circular rubber ring that served a similar purpose for some model of Guzzi and I just used that. I have never seen original pads or anyone selling reproductions.

Maybe somebody on the forum has the original pads that they can measure width, length and thickness.

I have to give you credit, you are going to extraordinary lengths with your bike if you are this concerned about something that will not be visible to anyone when the bike is assembled.

Jim

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:13 am

Dave,
I echo Jim's comments - well done and great attention to detail.

Keep the pics coming - it is great to see the progress and it is inspiring !
Tony

Lonestar

Postby Lonestar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words - I don't really deserve them, though.

My main concern on the pads is to get something beneath the tank of roughly correct size & density. I'm motivated not so much by perfectionism as by a fear of a cracked tank pouring gallons of premium unleaded onto my crotch during a ride. At any rate, I'm going to follow Jim's lead and improvise. I'm looking at carving up some closed-cell foam from a sophisticated flotation device:

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Noodle-P ... B003L29F8M

That's tonight's project; last night I fit my very nice Italian-made Mach 1 seat. The challenge there was that either its front bracket was 2mm too wide, or my frame plates 2mm too close. I had to grind off a fair bit of metal from the bracket to make it fit, but it looks OK after some black paint.

The excitement for the weekend will be trying to start the engine, which has been resting peacefully since I rebuilt 5 years ago.

Cheers,

Dave

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi LS
I don't know what others use, but I have wrapped a piece of 1 inch thick closed cell foam pad. It is medium density and came from an upholstery shop. I then secured it to the backbone with black zip ties. not anywhere near original but very functional. It is a force fit to push it up into the tank channel. My tank has a hook molded into the rear just above the bottom and I use a large o ring looped around the backbone to fasten to it. It works well for me. If your tank ever contacts the frame back there, it will make more racket than you can imagine and you won't be able to tolerate it long enough to wear a hole in the tank. ;)

mike

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:37 am

All I use for this is an old inner tube. I cut up about ten pieces, say 10cm long. I roll up 9 of them (or whatever fits) and shove into one of them. That produces a nice pad, that can be adjusted somewhat to a desired shape. I tape it to the frame tube. It's rough and ready, but perfectly serviceable and not visible with the tank on.

Jordan

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”