Headlamp removal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ftripodi

Re: Headlamp removal

Postby ftripodi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 am

Jim,

Could not wait so I did the test again as soon as I got home.

Results of the static test

Black to ground 0 ohms
Orange to white 1 ohms

White to ground 0.2 ohms
Orange to ground 0.2 ohms

Voltage test at 3000 rpm

Black 3.7 volts
Orange 9.9 volts
White 15.2 - 16.8 volts

Checked it with a new unit.

These results look a little better.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Frank

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the delay - I have been stretched thin lately.

I wish I knew what to tell you .

That the black wire shows a dead short to the frame is my first concern although your meter might not have enough sensivity and may be reporting a tenth of an ohm as zero ohms.

Really though this sounds like the 40 watt or 60 watt electrical system that is comprised of two coils, both tied to frame ground on one end. The white and the orange wires would likely be the two coils and the black wire a ground. If the black wire was ground that would explain the dead short ohmeter reading to the frame. The couple of volts could just be induced into the black wire because it's not terminated to the frame on the loose end.

http://www.motoscrubs.com/Electrical_sy ... etin_1.htm

If this is the case the two ouputs were intended to be rectified and regulated into 6 volts DC.

That's not to say you could not implement your bike as an AC battery-less system like most of the Scramblers and some of the street bikes were. I think it would work that way.

Did you have any plans to pull the alternator out anyway? Do you need to change the wires out or are they in good condition? I ask because inspectiing the alternator off the bike would be much more revealing.

Did you plan on running as an AC bike or a DC bike? I would say we'll figure out how to wire it up as you want it and deal with the alternator later if it fails to supply power the way the bike is wired.

Your other choice is to pull the alternator now and determine its configuration and perhaps more about its condition and go from there. But if it is working you'll have done that for nothing.

Jim

ftripodi

Postby ftripodi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 am

Thanks Jim,

I appreciate all your advice and detailed explanation it is invaluable.

The wires whilst they are not the correct colour scheme, they are in good shape.

I’ll try and get my hands on a regulator locally to do some more testing. If this works out to be no good, I guess the next step will be to purchase or make up the some tools to remove the Alternator. I’ll have to dig around and find my old Vespa tools to see if they can be used or modified.

Whilst I intend to run the bike as a DC system, I am of the opinion that the best way to accurately move forward is to remove the alternator and identify exactly what system the bike is running or if any faults are existing.

I will update once I have the regulator and have tested.

Once again a big thank you for the assistance. :D
Frank

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”