Questions/Help on buying out of state

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

miken5678

Questions/Help on buying out of state

Postby miken5678 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:08 pm

As this will be a first time out of state purchase for me can any provide guidance in relation to:

How the money is held or if there is an option for a third party to hold money until bike is received?

I noted with uship some of them will accept your money and provide it to the seller upon pickup however if using forward air what are the options so that someone just doesnt walk away with your money?

As far as the title goes I assume it needs to be blank or signed over to the new owner? I am sure this is different from state to state however I am in FL and looking at a bike in cali.

Thanks

Mike

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Questions/Help on buying out of state

Postby JimF » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Hi Mike,

I guess at some point you (as the buyer) have to trust somebody and yes, unfortunately something could go wrong. I don't see anyway around it unless you fly out to California and turn over cash while you take physical possession of the motorcycle either to drive it home, drive to the shipping agent or to sit next to it until the transport truck shows up.

Several years ago I sold a bike to Dan on this list (me in Illinois and Dan in California) in a similar situation to what you are in now but I can't quite recall the fine details. Maybe Dan can. I think Dan sent me a cashiers check by overnight delivery and gave me the tracking number for the envelope. This had to be nerve-racking for Dan as his money was gone with nothing to show for it.

The next day I had a check but not knowing Dan at the time I had to consider the slim chance that the check might have been a fake. Still though, it was assuring that Dan told me he was sending a check, gave me the tracking info and a day later the check arrived just as he said it would. I deposited the check and waited for it to clear letting Dan know daily by email what was happening. By the same token and as my good faith token to Dan I signed the Illinois title on the day the check arrived and overnight-ed the title back to Dan emailing him with the tracking number just as he had for the check.

Dan please correct me if I am wrong.

To my thinking if the check bounced I may not have title to the bike but I would still have the bike. Is possession still nine-tenths of the law? (What does that mean anyway?) Regardless, I felt good because I had received a real-looking check and I had not given up the bike. If the check bounced was Dan going to come from California with the title in his hand and think I would just surrender the bike over? Probably not. Even if he did I would have had a NSF check to show local police that I was the one being defrauded. So I felt (from the seller's perspective) that I was in a good spot with little risk.

That doesn't do you any good, though as you are the buyer in this transaction.

Dan (the buyer) had to be worried. His money gone and nothing to show for it. One day after sending the check though he had from me a tracking number of the overnight envelope which purportedly held the title, and one day after that he had a signed Illinois title so hopefully Dan felt a little better that neither I or the bike were likely to disappear.

When the check cleared I let Dan know immediately and Dan who had arranged for a shipping company to pick up the bike alerted them to contact me and set up a time to pick up the bike. I took photos of the bike being loaded onto the truck and emailed them to Dan. Between the photos and the acknowledgment from the truck company that they had indeed picked up a motorcycle from my house Dan was probably breathing a big sigh of relief.

I guess you can make some person (presumably the guy that drives the truck which will pick up the bike) an escrow agent, that is to say the guy would hold your money and hand it over in exchange for the motorcycle. The problem is you have to trust the escrow agent now instead of the seller with your money. Maybe these guys are bonded for that reason. That might be worth asking. But what if when the trucker get there the bike has been laid down or is otherwise heavily damaged? That guy is not going to be able to make the call on the spot that you aren't buying a wrecked motorcycle and call the deal off. More food for thought: Given all the bike buying scams out there as a seller I would not turn over a bike for a check ever, but that's just me. Be aware that your seller may feel the same way I do.

Maybe somebody else on the list has a fool-proof way to protect your interest as the buyer.

Keep in mind too that if the seller rips you off we list members can make his life hellish if everyone of us calls him at least once a day until you get your bike or your money back.

Jim

Daniil

Postby Daniil » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Jim, you are correct on all accounts. It was not too nerve breaking, but , yes, it was hard to send my money to someone without anything to show for it.

My suggestion to anyone buying anything from out of state is to communicate the heck out of everything you do with the seller and demand the communication back. Get the seller's cellphone, talk to him several times before making any decisions. You will know a legit Ducati enthusiast/ owner from a first conversation. Have someone look at the bike if you have another member of the board, relative etc living in the area.

Also do your internet research. See if that person posted any other items for sale in the past, if he is a member of any forum groups etc. That will give you a better picture of whether you can trust the person.

In the end, you are not gambling with huge money here (I venture to guess not more than 5K-6K), unless you are buying a Green frame or a Desmosedici. I kept this in the back of my mind when I bought two of my Vintage bikes over the Internet, and it kept me sane.

Hope this helps. Dan

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm

I purchased my 450 and two cars from out of state. I arranged all the shipping myself so that I was in control of that part.

I made a deal with the seller upfront to wire half the money, then they would send the signed title via fed ex overnight. Once that was recieved, I wired the balance of the money. I made sure that I had the vin, sellers address, home phone, cell phone etc before any deal was struck.

There is a lot of trust by both parties for these kind of transactions. If you don't feel comfortable with the seller, walk away. There are other bikes out there.
1970 450 SCR

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 pm

I am looking at this one

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1542584641.html

If someone snatches it up before me on here :P on you. however thanks for the advice so far.. i think the 50/50 split for title on the bike as well as verifying the cell/home etc.. he states he is leaving the country so i would assume military.. but the thought has also crossed my mind possibly stolen and trying to get rid of quickly..

who knows.. I am determined to find a good deal and get started.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:07 am

Just an idea but Bevel Heaven is in Concord CA - about 45 mins away from that bike. You might be able to get the seller to take it there for a "buyers inspection".
1970 450 SCR

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:26 am

well looks like the cali bike sold fast. So far 0/3 on getting to anything on craigs list before its sold, even when i contact in the same day. Bummer.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:16 am

Unless you close to one, I think it's kind of hard to buy out of state on a bike or car. I had a bike lined up a couple months back we met on a price over the phone and I was going to drive 2 hrs to get it and the guy sold it for a $100 more than we agreed too...

Seems like I find stuff when I'm not looking or when I don't have the money!

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:29 am

yup, and now that I have money there arnt really any deals to be found other than a 250 scrambler down south that is more than beat to hell... living in fl doesnt give me many options like those that live in the central states. I am keeping my eye out though.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”