Late desmo headlight questions

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

joe46ho

Late desmo headlight questions

Postby joe46ho » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:54 am

Does anyone know if ducati used a chrome 130mm headlight without a gauge hole on the later mark 3 desmo's, and does anyone own a duke like this or have pics of one ? Did it use one of those 2 gauge plastic/rubber mounts ? or did it use 2 metal pods like the late scramblers except chrome ? Im asking because Ive seen it both ways and i dont know which way is right. but i did find a good complete 130mm headlight from a mark 3, but im not entirely sure what year it came off of. im assuming it had to be off a later model than my dad's 69' mk3 350 d. It is a chrome housing, 130mm aprilia, with the key switch in the bottom left, it has the later style h/l switch, and warning indicators. basically it looks just like the one from his 1970 450scr , but it is chrome, and it has no gauge hole. Anyone know what models this was used on ?

Second question does anyone know for sure what headlamp the silver shotgun used ? I may be answering my own question here, but i have seen several different lights on these, and i have no way of telling whats original and whats not, but the headlight I bought looks just like the one in this picture i attached below. I have seen pics of yellow desmo roadsters, and silver shotguns with the "pancake" style light too...I wish I could get an actual parts book for these models...I dont know if such a thing exists.

P.S. anyone know gauge type/brand ? Where they still veglia, or where they smiths, or cev ?

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

MotoMike

Re: Late desmo headlight questions

Postby MotoMike » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:41 am

Hi Joe
In Ian Falloon's Standard catalog of Ducati Motorcycles, I find a 68 mk3 Desmo and a 71 desmo that could be the same bike you pictured. They both have what appears to be the same chromed headlight you have pictured.

Mike

machten

Postby machten » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:50 am

Joe,

Re the shotguns...see the pics in this thread, this one is a US delivered bike and is original down to the paint and decals. The owner runs a different exhaust system, some rubber components have been changed, and the spark plug cap is not original, but that's about it.

http://www.motoscrubs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=715

Also,

These pics show an australian delivered shotgun with a known heritage. Pretty sure the headlight setup on this is original..

Kev

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 am

Machten,
Not to pick a fight, but I really would question the perch with turn signal switch that these bikes did not have. That would seem somewhat advanced for Ducati single bikes. I would welcome anyone that has additional information. I am wondering if the clipon's are also original as they are different that would appears to be on the 450 Mk3D's.
Tony

machten

Postby machten » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:09 am

Hi Tony,

Just to clarify, the pics above are not of the "all original" shotgun. Pics of that bike are in the earlier thread which is referenced above the pics. The Shotguns of course did not have the turn signal switch pictured, and as far I am aware, did not have any turn signals at all.

The earlier thread referred to above did not have very good close up photos of the headlight assembly, so I added in the pics of what I am fairly sure is the correct arrangement on the silver shotguns (but a different bike).

As far as the clipon's are concerned, I beleive all the later desmo's did have their own specific clipons and perch mounts to support 35mm marzzochi forks and possibly also to support the dual sided drum brake.

There are some good photos of a few shotguns in Phil Aynsley's excellent site including one of a 1972 250 taken in 1973 (Note that the turn signals have been added), which may provide a useful reference here:

http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/thumbnails.php?album=983

There are 450 Shotgun photos here...

http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/ ... =983&pos=5

Hope that helps.

Kev

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:27 pm

This doesn't look like other Ducati parts books, but it does say 1974 Mark lll 450.
450 Mark 3 Page 9.jpg

450 Mark 3 Page 1.jpg

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:34 pm

And this is the legend page, but the diagram numbers have been clipped off- handwritten, but the parts pictures look official.
450 Mark 3 Page 10.jpg

Rick

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:40 pm

And last, this is the bodywork page, to show which model the manual is referring to,
450 Mark 3 Page 26.jpg

Rick

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:02 am

the Yellow 73/74 Desmo roadsters have a flatter type headlite . but not a 130 mm like the type II Scramblers .
they have a 150 mm headlite

Eldert

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”