recommendations for the best exhaust nut tool

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ajleone

recommendations for the best exhaust nut tool

Postby ajleone » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:24 pm

Looking for recommendations for exhaust nut wrench. I have an aluminum one and I just bent it trying to torque down a nut. I know there are several different styles out there from Guzzino or Eurotrash. Any thoughts ?
Thanks.
Tony

DewCatTea-Bob

Exhaust Ring-nut Tool Usage

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:48 pm

" Any thoughts ? "

____ Have any other of our 2009-members already forgotten of our long-established thread for this related topic ? - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33
I'm quite doubtful that any suitable ex.ring-nut tool would bend (or break) while using my suggested torquing method !

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

blaat!

Re: recommendations for the best exhaust nut tool

Postby blaat! » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 am

Anybody ever use a strap wrench to tighten/loosen it? Seems like it would work, and it can be used for so many other purposes.
strap wrench.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the pointer to the post on this topic in 2009 - lot's of good info there. I struggle with finding info on the site here as there is so much info - not sure if there is capability to put a index-by-topic, that would be nice.

Blaat - not sure about the strap wrench - I would be a little concerned about putting pressure on the fins of the nut.

I see Joe Carter (Eurotrash Jambalaya) has a nice wrench on ebay and his site, so I think that's what I'll put on my Christmas list.
Tony

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:08 pm

I have one that I had a friend cut on an industrial laser cutter. It is made from 1/8" stainless steel. I will be happy to supply the cad file to anyone who wants it.

Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Tony

I know that the search engine here is not very capable. I searched for 'exhaust nut wrench" and got the posts in this thread and two others about head bolt torque. When going to advance search where I requested that the result include all the words, it came up with no posts, so there ya go.

Lacey makes one, but don't know how it would square after conversion and shipping.

Here is one from a top rated seller in Illinois that, though not welded together is about 10 bucks cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-V-Twin-B ... 484321bc91

Mike

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the tip - I like these guys, Heartland Products, as I have purchased their flywheel pullers for NC and Bronco's. Great quality, price is right and a good chance to buy American ! I am glad I asked.

Pete - thanks for the offer on the CAD file.

Tony

DewCatTea-Bob

Ex.flange/Ring-nut Tool / Searching for Info

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:15 pm

" Great quality, price is right and a good chance to buy American ! "

____ Well all quite possibly so but, the multi.ear ex.flange-nut wrench which Mike has included a link to, is stated to be for a "V-twin", and since the Ducati L-twins use a significantly larger exhaust ring/flange-nut (than those of our Duc.Singles), THAT wrench thus likely won't be of much use to those of us with only Duke-singles.
____ The wrench that Pete has posted a picture of, looks pretty impressive and ought to work great on and keep a NEW ex.ring/flange-nut in original/straight-condition ! _ However, by having been designed to grab so very many (13) of the individual ear-tabs all in a row (without skipping any), it thus-then likely won't be able to be easily fitted onto USED multi.ear-tab ex.ring/flange-nuts with their often slightly bent ear-tabs.
So it would've been more usefully designed, if that wrench had been made with 2/3rds less teeth-slots, so as to skip-over two ear-tabs between every one it grabs, (thus allowing such a wrench a better chance of getting fitted-over the ear-tabs of a 'used' ex.ring/flange-nut).

" I struggle with finding info on the site here as there is so much info - not sure if there is capability to put a index-by-topic, that would be nice. "

____ I agree that the search-engine for this w.site leaves a lot to be desired from it (which it doesn't seem to deliver) !
And there has come to be an overwhelming number of many,many various threads to consider going-through just to try to find the established info ya're looking for !
__ Ever-since this section of the w.site grew over 3-pages in depth, (it's now at 17-pages !), I've wanted all the individual threads which have gotten pushed-off the 1st/front-page, to then fall-into categorization under about four major subsections, such as: 'MOTOR' ; 'ELECTRICAL' ; 'CHASSIS' ; & 'MISC.' ,, that way, we don't have to wade-through all the (too-many!) established pages of (25) threads that can be about ANYTHING!
This 'categorization' would organize non-current threads similarly to a 'tree' type of filing-system (of which all PC-users ought be familiar with). _ However in the past whenever I've made this logical suggestion, a number of established/regular members pleaded against the notion, (thus putting THEIR concerns ahead of the intended convenience for newer members). _ Here's a link to one of such occasions... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94&p=583&hilit=tree#p565
I wonder if there's now become any change of heart on the matter, (since there has now been enough time passed-by for those old-members to have forgotten what-all they've read from back then) ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:38 pm

The link I included earlier, if you read the description says it works on vtwins and singles. I have seen this claim made on more than one exhaust nut tool I've looked at. The one from Eurotrash and Bevel Heaven make this claim as well. Ebay link I included- He is a top rated seller with 100% positive feedback and over 17000 sales, so I'd expect him to make it right if you ran into problems. In my mind, I can see how a tool could be made to work on both so long as the number of fins were the same.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:46 pm

I can't remember where I got mine, but it will work on both the twin and single exhaust nuts. You can see how the tool meshes with the fins at a different location for each nut, so the tool would need to have the teeth the right combination of length and diameter, but it doesn't hit the pipe on the ID of either system, and works fine.
tool.jpg

single.jpg

twin.jpg

Rick

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”