recommendations for the best exhaust nut tool

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

MotoMike

Re: recommendations for the best exhaust nut tool

Postby MotoMike » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:38 am

Thanks Rick. handy to have a guy with a twin, single and the wrench for both.
M

DewCatTea-Bob

Dual-use Ex.ring/Flange-nut Wench-tool

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:41 am

MotoMike wrote:The link I included earlier, if you read the description says it works on vtwins and singles.
The one from Eurotrash and Bevel Heaven make this claim as well.
In my mind, I can see how a tool could be made to work on both so long as the number of fins were the same.

____ SORRY fellas, this is a case where I had jumped to a quick conclusion & premature action ! ... I had only taken a quick look a that listing's title and then instantly recalled that the L-twin version's equivalent part was significantly larger, (and with the picture of Pete's posted wench-tool still in my mind's-eye at the time), I then (hastily!) chose to post my (false)- warning (for Tony & whoever).
__ I now fully-realize that it must be the case that the outer-dia. of the L-twin's ex.pipe must be sufficiently smaller by enough to allow adequate space & reach for the tool in question to be able to be reduced in I.D. enough to also allow adequate grabbing of the ear-tabs of a Duke-single's ex.ring-nut, as well,, without (my previously assumed) interference-fit around a L-twin's ex.pipe.
I recall now, once before seeing such a dual-use claim for such wrench-tools, and then realized that both ex.flange-nut sizes must therefore have the same number of ear-tabs.
__ At least my posted conclusion-jumping has inspired the nicely informative post that Rick did in response (to my bum-warning) !
Thanks for that mighty-fine post, Rick !

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Re: recommendations for the best exhaust nut tool

Postby MotoMike » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:27 pm

I sent a pm to Mike, the seller of the wrench pictured in Bob's post and linked in mine, and asked him to discuss how it could fit on both v-twin and Single exhaust nuts. This was before Ricks post made the communication moot. Though not really explaining he included the pertinent measurments he used.

An unexpected and positive result is that he is offering a discount to motoscrub members on this part and any others ordered through him.
here is his post:

Mike, Quite an interesting discussion. I wish I could chime in with some great knowledge, but the best I can do (as the guy who wrote the CNC program for it), is provide the dimensions for the tool. From some of the posts, it seems the nut is the same size, but maybe the dimensions will help.

The space between two teeth is: 0.1870"
The outside end/larger part of the tooth: 0.2574"
The inside end/smallest part of the tooth: 0.0815"
The outside diameter: 2.8325"
The inside diameter: 1.712"

I think those are the most pertinent sizes. Now, we've had quite a few of these sold, and none have home back because it didn't fit either a V-Twin or a Single since 2008. If I completely missed the question, please do let me know, always good to learn more about the tools we carry. Sincerely,

P.S. Every time someone reaches out to us, we make a "group buy" type of discount on our website. Anyone from motoscrubs.com can apply "MTScrub" on mbsmfg.com and receive 10% off on their orders. Sincerely, Mike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310363929745?it ... 23&vxp=mtr

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”