Silver Shotgun/Yellow Desmo info/pics sought

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

joe46ho

Silver Shotgun/Yellow Desmo info/pics sought

Postby joe46ho » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Does anyone on here actually own one of these dukes ?

I just bought a silver shotgun fueltank, and seat, and I am looking to buy the replica toolboxes (in the usa from a guy i know) and the front fender (from aus.) 2 big questions I have, and I cant seem to find any info on are
1-how is the front of the fuel tank mounted ?
2-what is the ctc spacing of the lower fork legs, and the outer diameter also (the legs, not the tubes) I am mainly wondering this because, although I know this wont be a "dead ringer" I really want to make it look similar to a silver shotgun, I have a pair of 35mm forks that look very similar to the ceriani ones on the yellow desmo, but they are 35 and not 32 of course, does anyone know also... other than the brake stays, differences in the front brakes, do the "yellow desmo" and "silver shotgun" share the same front end ?
Im hoping eldert or someone else may know, I cant even seem to find a parts book, or any good pics of either one of these models
This tank, and seat will be used to "complete" the 68 mark 3 I have been trying to source parts for, although I still need some parts, I have been looking for a coffin tank for a while now to replace the trashed original one I have, but I have just about given up the search...

I also have a set of marz. 35mm triples from a later w/c bike... So maybe I will polish these and use them. If anyone has any suggestions on an alternative to the oem silver shotgun front end, that would at least look similar let me know... Im not interested in trying to "fool" anyone, but the 31.5mm front end I have that originally came on it (1968 mark 3 350d) just wont work.

I just watched a really nice set of ceriani forks from a harley/aermacchi sx175 end on ebay (didnt sell) I thought about buying these, there are in very good shape and cheap, but I dont know the length/diameter (i think they are 35mm) etc... These would at least be "period correct" but I would like to buy the closest thing I can... on the off chance anyone has a 32mm ceriani front end that would work please pm me about it.

in all of this, i of course realize that the factory (replica) front fender will most likely need to be modified, so im ok with that also...

for anyone who has no clue what Im talking about...im posting a pic of the tank, and seat i bought (from the ebay listing for the seat) these are not the actual parts i bought, but are exactly the same...

thanks, Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

Eldert

Re: Silver Shotgun/Yellow Desmo info/pics sought

Postby Eldert » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi Joe

the tank is mounted on silenceblocks under the fuel tank

ctc distance forklegs is 170 ( wc scramblers are 180 mm )

the drumbrake yellow desmo and the silver Desmo shared the same 35 mm front end .
the only differance is the top tripple clamp . the one on the yellow has two holes in it to mount the rev conter / speedo
pod

Eldert

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks Eldert,
So is it a safe assumption that these front ends are very hard to find ?

I am posting 3 pics of what I have(triple trees) maybe someone will have more info about them then i will
The first is 170mm ctc (for 35mm forks) I believe it to be from an ossa stilleto but I have no idea, thats just what I was told
the second is 180mm ctc, I was told it was from an ossa pioneer, again...just what i was told (also 35mm forks)
the last is just a w/c scrambler triple,(180mm ctc) the upper is alloy, and lower is steel, which is the only type I have ever seen.
there is a very nice one on ebay, that has the same upper, but an aluminum lower. Is this from a series 2 scrambler maybe or ?? (The seller says its from a w/c scrambler)

One other thing, does anyone know the OAL of the forks on a silver shotgun ? (from the tube cap, to the bottom of the fork leg, extended fully, no weight I mean...)

PLEASE NOTE. THE ORDER OF THE PICS IS REVERSED FROM WHAT i IMPLIED IN THE TEXT.

thanks, Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

krupp13

Postby krupp13 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I just saw that Classic Ducati in England has a basket case yellow DESMO for sale...they might be able to assist. Barry and Angela are great!!!!

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 pm

Joe,

The 35mm Marzocchi forks fitted to the silver shotgun and late singles are hard to find.

The triple clamps that you were told came off an Ossa Stiletto look like they are for Betor forks.

The other set may also be Betor.

The set of forks on a 450 of mine measure 750mm from top cap to the bottom of the slider when there is no weight on them.

Also a photo of the brackets on the frame to mount the Tartarini style tank.
Both of the silentbloc rubber bushes have broken off, but you should get the idea.

Jon

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Joe

both series 1 and 2 scramblers has a steel bottom tripple clamps .

i have a aluminum bottom tripple in my scrambler but that is from a Moto Morini 3.5 ( saved 400 grams there )

the RT had a aluminum bottom but that one differs , i has 2 ridges on top and four holes to mount the fender bracket to

Eldert

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:52 pm

joe46ho wrote: I have been looking for a coffin tank for a while now to replace the trashed original one I have, but I have just about given up the search...
thanks, Joe

I have a spare coffin tank-
coffin tank.jpg

The paint is good enough that I'm reluctant to strip it off to see if there's chrome underneath. Not really trying to get rid of it, but am always interested in trading for parts I need.
Rick

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Jon, Thanks for the pics, and the measurement that helps a lot, I was having trouble visualizing it... Doesnt look like it will be to hard to fab. and weld on the mounts. the forks I have now are 790mm long. maybe I will use them, maybe not. I am bidding on a ceriani front end right now, 35mm forks, 170mm ctc. Its not the right one, but will be close enough for me...I believe the triples are both betor from looking at every pic i could find of vintage ossa's unfortunately the 170mm ctc ones are very rough, the others are nice but 180mm, no mater what I will probably have to fab a steering stem, but that is the least of my worries.

Eldert, thanks... it makes sense now, that triple on ebay must be from a rt450, it looks just as you have described, ill try to post a pic or a link to it.

Rick, I would like :shock: :shock: DIBS :shock: :shock: on the coffin tank, although im not demanding them :lol: I will do my best to get those A-series engine pics to you asap, hopefully we can work something out one way or another...

Thanks everyone, Joe

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Joe:

I have a set of W/C scrambler triples you can have :shock: :shock: DIBS :shock: :shock: on if you need them.
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”