Jupiter Headlamp

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

Jupiter Headlamp

Postby Teckhardt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm

In my quest to put my 450SCR back into semi-stock / running order, I need to rewire the headlamp shell.

It looks like this type:

It is missing the high beam and town light indicators on the sides. The white one in the center is in bad shape as well.

I would like to replace them with LED so I can avoid using the festoon bulb holders. Several places sell LEDs that appear to be copies of the side lights.

Classic Ducati - http://www.classicducati.com/index.php? ... ductId=426
Guzzino - http://www.guzzino.com/indicatorlight.html
Amici Dello Scrambler - http://www.ducatiscrambler.com/2006/elettrici.htm

The price is pretty consistent for all of them, so it must be the going rate but I am too cheap for that. ;) $40 buck seems like a lot for a LED.

Ideas? Anyone have any extra stock indicator lights they would be willing to part with? Anyone found a substitute light? I don't need 100% correct but I also do not want it to look like a mistake.
1970 450 SCR

joe46ho

Re: Jupiter Headlamp

Postby joe46ho » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 pm

PM sent Trenton...
It was a lot of info to type in here... :mrgreen:
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Been brainstorming with Joe and I think I will try to convert some stock warning lights to LED.

Will post details here.
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks to Joe, I now have two good stock warning light bulb holders. I have decided not to go LED right now.

I have 6v bulbs to fit them but no colored "domes" for them. I actually have never seen the stock set up of how they colored them.

Anyone have an idea of how I can color the bulbs or put some sort of colored lens in?
1970 450 SCR

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Teckhardt

you might get some LED's from Radioshack or other source and experiment. the 4 or 5 mm LED's could probably be made to fit in the lamp holders and if you pick the color you want, maybe shove them all the way in there and use the LED lens itself to replicate the colored lens in the original. Would have to experiment a little to get the right sized to resistor to limit voltage across the LED. for a 3 volt LED, I'd guess you'd need around a 175 ohm resistor. current is light at about .02 so a really small physical resistor should handle the heat. solder resistor to one leg of the led and then shrink tube it all to insulate it. once you get the combination figured out, the cost (less failed parts) should be less than a couple bucks each.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:33 am

MotoMike wrote:Teckhardt

you might get some LED's from Radioshack or other source and experiment. the 4 or 5 mm LED's could probably be made to fit in the lamp holders and if you pick the color you want, maybe shove them all the way in there and use the LED lens itself to replicate the colored lens in the original. Would have to experiment a little to get the right sized to resistor to limit voltage across the LED. for a 3 volt LED, I'd guess you'd need around a 175 ohm resistor. current is light at about .02 so a really small physical resistor should handle the heat. solder resistor to one leg of the led and then shrink tube it all to insulate it. once you get the combination figured out, the cost (less failed parts) should be less than a couple bucks each.

I may have to experiment with LEDs. The bulbs I just got in the mail wont fit in the holders. :evil:

The way the globe is crimped makes a little lip. Tried to file down the lip and the bulb popped as soon as I put power to it. Must have unsealed the bulb.
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Before I try the LED route, going to order a few more bulbs from another source. Domiracer has a cross-reference for the Ducati part number for the bulbs. Since I had to order some Brit parts anyway, I got a few bulbs to try.

A cheap experiment because I really do like the factory bulb holder. A neat little piece of kit.
1970 450 SCR

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:11 pm

If someone has a lamp holder they want to let me experiment with, I'd sort out the cheap option with radio shack LED's. PM me. Do I understand that red and white are the required colors.

Mike

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:27 pm

Teckhardt wrote:
Anyone have an idea of how I can color the bulbs or put some sort of colored lens in?

Is the lens just a thin piece of plastic? Could you use a file folder cover like the kids use in school? They come in all different transparent colors.Maybe punch out a disk with a hole punch?

Pete

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Pete wrote:Is the lens just a thin piece of plastic? Could you use a file folder cover like the kids use in school? They come in all different transparent colors.Maybe punch out a disk with a hole punch?

Pete

No idea what the originals looked like. Both of mine were missing.

I am going to try some paint called stain glass paint from the hobby store. We will see if it holds up to the heat.
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”