MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

jbcollier

Re: MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Postby jbcollier » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Said enough already on the other stuff. People can choose their poison as they see fit.

Various models were sold into different markets with different ignitions to suit the wishes of the local distributor and customer's prejudices. Ducati single "a la carte" so to speak.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:40 pm

" Said enough already on the other stuff. "

____ Since it seems that you wish to stick-with & not correct any of the errors of your previously stated wordings, it's now clear that you've been mis-informed, (sorry to tell you!).

" Various models were sold into different markets with different ignitions to suit the wishes of the local distributor and customer's prejudices. "

____ Still another only half-factual statement ! ...
As std.production-line DUKE-singles were never actually individually made-to-order with any such mixed-&-matched parts, by the Ducat-factory, for anyone in the USA (other than Berliner, the importer).
Only owners of multiple Duc.Singles, have since done their own mix & matching of various parts from various DUKE-models, to have then caused your current misconception.

DUCATIly,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

jbcollier

Postby jbcollier » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:42 am

So did the original poster set up their timing to 0°?

How is the MZB for reliable spark at kick starting speeds? I notice that they do not recommend using the system with twin plugged heads and wondered if the spark might be on the marginal side when kicking. I use a Rita system with my twin plugged desmo and it starts very easily if primed correctly.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Lastest update is no update.

MZB / Powerdynamo say they are waiting on information from a Belgian dealer. Not sure what they are waiting for confirmation on as they were provided with all the details. I think the odds of a new advance unit ever being produced are slim to none.

I am continuing to reassemble my 450 and will eventually reset the flywheel, retarding the static-advance by 5-degrees netting a 3 degree static-advance at start.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:58 am

" Not sure what they are waiting for confirmation on as they were provided with all the details. "

____ They probably wish the opinion of someone who they already trust for such related info.
Just hope that they're aware of everything we are, or else we'll then possibly be offered yet another compromised piece of equipment.

" and will eventually reset the flywheel, retarding the static-advance by 5-degrees netting a 3 degree static-advance at start. "

____ Three degrees BTDC should be fine.
But don't you also intend to investigate & employ some kind of method to securely-LOCK that special flywheel-rotor in-place onto your crankshaft, before re-setting it ?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:57 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote: But don't you also intend to investigate & employ some kind of method to securely-LOCK that special flywheel-rotor in-place onto your crankshaft, before re-setting it ?

When I get to that point, I will look into that as well.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:23 am

" I will look into that as well. "

____ While I'm not familiar with that rotor's construction, I myself might consider the idea of drilling & tapping three holes 120-degrees apart, near the rotor's center,, so that just the heads of three fully-inserted flat-head (preferably hardened Allen-type) screws could concentrate the (gear to rotor) friction-pressure, that's exerted (by the crankshaft-nut) through the (key-locked)- pinon-gear.
Certainly not a 'true-lock' through to the crankshaft but, could ADD to the desired friction-pressure which is normally all that's depended upon to hold an alt.rotor tightly in it's chosen place on the shaft-taper.
And if the screw-heads take-up needed space (to keep the primary-gears properly aligned), then three corresponding slots could be ground-out of the inside-side of the pinion-gear (so as to make added room) to get back any lost space, and also lock-in the flywheel-rotor through that way.
Just one thought/idea for consideration.

Hopeful-Cheers,
DCT-Bob

halfpast

Postby halfpast » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Came across this thread as I was searching on more info on the Powerdynamo. I am in the currently in the process of installing one in my 250 Monza. Will post with updates. Thanks all.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”