MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

Re: MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Postby Teckhardt » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Ran into a couple of problems. The flywheel puller provided with the kit does not fit over the crank shaft. Hope I got the flywheel on right for the timing cause I can't get it back off for the time being.

Also, part of the install is to replace the spacer behind the clutch primary gear with a slightly thicker one. The one I got with my kit is not quite thick enough cause the gear just kisses the ring on the flywheel behind the gear.

I emailed them about both issues. Think the puller is just the wrong one. Should be an easy fix. To fix the spacing issue I will either need a shim or a new spacer that is slightly thicker. Suppose I could also file down the ring on the flywheel so the crank gear sits farther back.

While I work on those issues, I can start to think about where I will mount the other components. :shock: They are a bit bigger than expected.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:03 pm

" The flywheel puller provided with the kit does not fit over the crank shaft. Hope I got the flywheel on right for the timing cause I can't get it back off for the time being.
Also, part of the install is to replace the spacer behind the clutch primary gear with a slightly thicker one. The one I got with my kit is not quite thick enough cause the gear just kisses the ring on the flywheel behind the gear. "

____ Wish I could have watched-over the install-job...
I'm wondering if the extra basket-spacer wasn't actually supposed to be simply ADDED (instead of for replacing the stock-spacer), AND that their rotor may not have been meant to be pressed onto the shaft as far as it was, (so that their supplied puller could then still reach & grab the rotor).
Not that I'm thinking these notions to be true, but just wonder.
Do both primary-gears currently line-up correctly?
__ As for the phase-timing of the flywheel, it wouldn't matter much if your ignition were still battery-powered, but I gather that THIS system you've chosen also runs the ignition directly (without need of a battery)?

" They are a bit bigger than expected. "

____ How about some pix of those parts showing their size compared to a ruler?

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:07 pm

I got an email back from Powerdynamo today. Indeed the puller has gone thru a couple of improvements and I got an old one. They are sending a new one out ASAP. They are also sending me some shims of various thicknesses. Guess that a Duc Single always wants a few more shims :lol:

I will try to get some more pics posted up with a ruler for reference.
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 am

Pics of the electrical bits.

Regulator - about the size of the stock one and should fit in stock location.

Coil - kinda a strange shape. Should fit where the stock one was but will be visible. Shape prevents it from fitting under tank tunnel.

Advance unit. About the same size as the regulator. Have not decide where I am gonna try to stash this.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm

" Advance unit. About the same size as the regulator. Have not decide where I am gonna try to stash this. "

____ Couldn't it mount underside of the mount for the regulator-unit?
Thanks for all the fine pix!

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:09 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:Couldn't it mount underside of the mount for the regulator-unit?

On my bike, the regulator mounts on the underside of the frame cross piece under the seat. The way the seat mounts prohibits it from mounting on top of the same location.

I am going to have to sit down with all the parts and see what can go where. :?
1970 450 SCR

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Teckhardt wrote:I am going to have to sit down with all the parts and see what can go where. :?

You're at the same point I'm at. Somewhere I have pics of how the coil looks in the stock location, I thought I posted them but maybe not?

I've considered putting some of the electronics under the tail. Witht eh way my seat mounts it gets in teh way of putting anything in the stock location - I may have to revise my seat mount! IIRC I was considering mounting the black box under the stock regulator location, I just haven't decided how much I want things totally hidden.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Tiny bit of progress. All the mechanical bits are installed and the case cover went back on last night.

Hope to spend some time this weekend mounting up the electrical bits and doing some wiring.

Will take pics of where I end up putting all the components.
1970 450 SCR

botsian

Postby botsian » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Interesting thread. I'm currently looking at similar products to put on an RT 450. Electrex World seem to be the makers of the one offered by classicducati. They do a generator (?) with or without ignition combined. With ignition it's about 400US. I contacted their tech guy who told me that it will work fine without a battery

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:38 pm

I messed around with the coil today and figured out that I could remove the bracket from it and flip it around to get it to mount higher. Worked like a charm.

With the tank on, you can barely see the bottom of the coil.

Next is the regulator and advance unit.
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”