MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Postby Teckhardt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:38 pm

Rick Yamane over on Bevelheads imports these systems. I was thinking of running this on my 450SCR as 12V and no battery. Does anyone have experience with them?

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/ ... 54main.htm
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: MZB / Powerdynamo Ignition

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 am

____ I don't have any experience with them but, those systems sure are interesting!
Wish I could learn all about them! _ I'm not all together sure that the terminology used at that w.site is completely technically accurate. _ Perhaps it all actually is, by British-standards.
__ I note that they refer to 'wide-case' & 'narrow-case' motors as "big engine" & "small engine" respectively.
If ya can afford it, I don't see any good reason to recommend against it.
I hope that some one of us soon tries-it-out and can then tell us all of any short-comings which their system may include. _ I'll gladly be willing to offer any help which I can provide, (as I may better understand any terminology that the German makers might use which doesn't make exactly perfect sense to us here in the U.S.A.).

Excited Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:06 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:I note that they refer to 'wide-case' & 'narrow-case' motors as "big engine" & "small engine" respectively.

I think if you check again you'll see that they are referring to displacement. They say "small" engines are 125 - 250 cc, large engines 250 -450. I would have thought the 175 and 200 would fit in with the large size but apparently not?

kmev

Postby kmev » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm

The 250 is listed under both, so I understand the difference between little and big to be the size of the rotor, in addition to a 3- or 4-screw stator plate.

Having to pull the rotor to adjust the ignition timing doesn't sound like much fun.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:28 pm

kmev wrote:Having to pull the rotor to adjust the ignition timing doesn't sound like much fun.

I thought about that too, but how often would you change it once set? There are no points to wear out, so I would think once you got it dialed in you could forget about it.

It doesn't appear like you have to perm alter anything either - I like that. So if you wanted to go back to stock for a restoration or whateever, you could.

I am still up in the air about the battery-less thing. Maybe a small gel cell under the seat is a better alternative?
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 pm

" The 250 is listed under both, "

____ Right! _ (So how could a displacement of "250" be considered as both "small" & "big" ?)
Thus I stick with what I had indicated before... "small" refers to narrow-case and "big" refers to wide-case. _ As the 'widecase' motor-case was clearly modified to accept larger flywheel-rotors!
__ This type of confusion is just an example of the kind of possible interpretation-error which I'm quite wary of, and wish to help others avoid!
I myself would think that 'small-engine' would be referring to the 125/160 motors, while 'big-engine' would refer to the 175 thru 450 motors. _ However if the terms 'narrowcase' & 'widecase' didn't already exist, I could then reason how "small" & "big" would make fair sense (instead)!
Some one of us who happens to know the German-language well, should help clue them in with their English-terminology.
____ Some other things which raise an eyebrow & make ya scratch your head are statements like: "The original contact breaker at camshaft level is no longer needed " ... Wonder what's-up with that? _ (It would've been a good place to have mounted the points-set,, IF, Ducati had ever done so!)
Also, It's not real clear if the ignition-timing is permanently set once installed, and how any auto-advance that it may employ compares to the stock curve of the advancer-unit which is no longer needed.
__ I'm assuming that their 2in1 system is much like that which was used for the Ducati-860, and if so, I sure hope & expect that any electronics that are involved, are far,far more reliable! _ Cuz the related troubles with the 860's system was a big-piece-of-you-know-what!
Not to instill any undue concern though, as I give the Germans credit for superior products!
So I hope some one of us tries-out one of their systems soon!

Hopeful Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 pm

" I am still up in the air about the battery-less thing. Maybe a small gel cell under the seat is a better alternative? "

____ I had assumed that only the ignition is converted to batteryless operation... And that a 12-volt battery would still be needed for keeping the lights bright at low RPM !?
They use the term "generator", so I can't really be sure of just what they actually have going-on in their system! _ But until I could get my hands on one of their complete systems, I can't see it being all that much different than that which was employed on a 860-Duc.

____ Teckhardt, do you know how much $$ that system costs ?
Also, what was your main reason for considering it,, to eliminate the points, or to convert to a 12-volt system?

-Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" I am still up in the air about the battery-less thing. Maybe a small gel cell under the seat is a better alternative? "

____ I had assumed that only the ignition is converted to batteryless operation... And that a 12-volt battery would still be needed for keeping the lights bright at low RPM !?
They use the term "generator", so I can't really be sure of just what they actually have going-on in their system! _ But until I could get my hands on one of their complete systems, I can't see it being all that much different than that which was employed on a 860-Duc.

____ Teckhardt, do you know how much $$ that system costs ?
Also, what was your main reason for considering it,, to eliminate the points, or to convert to a 12-volt system?

-Bob

Last I checked it was around $600. Think it depends on the current euro/dollar.

I want to convert to 12V, increase the amp output and eliminate points (and hopefully eliminate a battery). This system was recommended by a few people on bevelheads.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:03 pm

" Last I checked it was around $600.
I want to convert to 12V, increase the amp output and eliminate points (and hopefully eliminate a battery). "

____ Wow, I think that's over twice what it's worth.
____ You could possibly accomplish everything except eliminate the points, for under 50-bucks.
But without any battery at all, things would be a bit touchy!

DCT-Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ Wow, I think that's over twice what it's worth.
____ You could possibly accomplish everything except eliminate the points, for under 50-bucks.
But without any battery at all, things would be a bit touchy!

How can I acheive output of 12V/100W for 50 bucks? I don't mind the points and for that price I will put a small gel cell or capacitor under the seat.

I was under the impression that a rewound alternator was needed. That plus the cost of an electronic ignition and you are close to the price of the powerdynamo.

http://www.roadandrace.com.au/parts/par ... ingles.htm

http://www.pazon.com/ignition/ducati-products/

http://www.classicducati.com/index.php? ... ductId=216

http://www.tga.co.uk/catalog/product_in ... cts_id=228
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”