Bent Fork?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kmev

Bent Fork?

Postby kmev » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:41 pm

I replaced my front wheel and fork tubes because they were obviously bent, but I'm wondering if there isn't a bend somewhere else, like the triple tree? Should the front hub touch the fork legs on both sides? Here's what I have:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Bent Fork?

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:19 pm

" Should the front hub touch the fork legs on both sides? "

____ If you mean to ask if that gap (between the clampable-leg & the hub) should be there, then yes there should be such a gap,, and the answer to your written question is NO.

Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kmev

Postby kmev » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks, Bob. That saves me a lot of work. :D

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Your gap looks similar in size to mine which I measured this morning to be 0.328" (8.33mm.)

Jim

kmev

Postby kmev » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:19 pm

The gap on my forks is 7.0 mm, so I'm not out of line - thanks.

When I trued the wheel I centered the rim over the hub, and now the tire is noticablly offset to the clutch side of the bike. It's even more noticable with the fender mounted (which is centered). Should the front wheel have an offset?

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:37 pm

My front wheel is noticeably offset to the clutch side as well.

I asked around, particularly on the Bevelheads list as to if I needed to offset either front or rear hub and all the answers I received were unanimously "no" or "no offset."

You and I have proved that wrong. An offset is required on the front hub. Not that I have experienced any handling problem that I can identify, but from a cosmetic standpoint I don't care for the tip of the finder not aligning with the center of the tire.

Jim

kmev

Postby kmev » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:40 am

Although these bikes don't weigh much, could this be an intentional design feature to balance out the bike (i.e. to compensate for a heavier primary side of the bike due to the clutch, alternator, etc.)?

If your bike doesn't pull to one side now, it may if you centered the rim on the forks rather than the hub?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”