Late narrowcase battery box

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kmev

Late narrowcase battery box

Postby kmev » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18 pm

One of the previous owners removed the bottom of the battery tray on my '67 Scrambler. I haven't been able to find any photos of this style tray. Does anyone have a photo, and preferably measurements, so that I can recreate it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Late narrowcase battery box

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:26 am

" One of the previous owners removed the bottom of the battery tray on my '67 Scrambler. "

____ So it seems that your " '67 Scrambler" is a narrow-case model.
How about a picture with the battery removed?
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kmev

Postby kmev » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:51 am

Yes, I am looking for any pics or info on what the bottom tray of my battery box looked like, without a battery. I would especially like dimensions so that I can fab a similar piece to weld into place. Every other frame I've seen doesn't have the vertical plate welded to the frame, so I have no idea what the bottom of this one looked like.

Thinking about it.....none of the narrowcase scramblers came with a battery, did they? If not, why did Ducati decide to build additional components to the battery box if one wasn't required?

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:23 am

" Every other frame I've seen doesn't have the vertical plate welded to the frame, so I have no idea what the bottom of this one looked liKe.
none of the narrowcase scramblers came with a battery, did they? If not, why did Ducati decide to build additional components to the battery box if one wasn't required? "

____ Actually, only the pre-1966 Scrambler type models were stock without use of a battery!
Starting with the 1966 model-year, the 40-watt alt. was replaced with the 28-watt alt. (along with the same electrical system) that had been used for the 160 MonzaJr model.
The battery was used only to run the parking-lights, horn & brake-light.
That was the first of the real 'Scrambler' models, (before that, they were actually the 'Motocross' type model).
Overall, the electrical-system on the '66 SCR-model was superior to that of previous SCR/Motocross models.
The narrow-case frames with that slim battery-rack were only made for that one year, as the wide-case Scramblers came-out in 1967.
The bottom portion of that rack was just as wide as the vertical back-plate, & just slightly larger than the bass of the battery which it was made to support, and also had a short (about 8mm tall) vertical lip -(to keep the bass of the battery in place), located on the rear edge , thus looking like a J (from the right-side) , or a L with a lip added (as seen from the left), if you get what I mean.
__ Anymore questions ?

DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:07 pm

" One of the previous owners removed the bottom of the battery tray on my '67 Scrambler. I haven't been able to find any photos of this style tray. Does anyone have a photo, and preferably measurements, so that I can recreate it? "

____ Got any idea why the base of the battery bracket was removed?
Well I do! ...
__ I've been wondering about this and figured that somebody once wanted to use a larger battery (which could not fit in the base).
So you may want to consider doing the same as what was possibly done before and hang a battery from a couple of rubber-straps. _ As others have done so, for the purpose of protecting the battery from the vibration which often causes the life of batteries to be cut-short !
__ I really suggest that you check-through this Scrambler's electrical-system to see if any other modifications have been done! _ Because many past owners have tried to tackle the problem of dim head-lights on these alternator-powered models!
I suspect that somebody had wanted to install a larger battery to be used for keeping the head-light brighter at low RPMs.
That job can be done the RIGHT-way, or attempted, with one of many wrong-ways!! _ (I've seen a few of them tried.)
__ Do you know how to check the electrical-system against the proper wiring-diagram for the 1966-Scrambler model?

Your Top DUKE-Expert,
DCT-Bob

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 am

Here are some pics, one with a ruler for gauging the size. I had a 66 that was full mag system, everything was run AC. The one in the picture will be with a battery and I have some pics of the harness if you need them also. The battery charging system is primative, just uses a power diode to create a trickle charge.
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 am

" I had a 66 that was full mag system, everything was run AC. "

____ Tony, I'm sure that your all "AC" Scrambler was actually a leftover '65 model. -(not made in 1966.)
Those all AC powered models also had no horn, no speedo, & no ign.switch. -(All of which added to making them distinct from the '66-SCR models!)

DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob

kmev

Postby kmev » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:06 pm

I have no idea why my tray was cut off. The extent of the wiring harness as I received the bike was one wire from the mag to the coil, interrupted by the toggle switch you see in the pic. I'll be constructing an entirely new wiring harness from scratch. I like the idea of keeping the wiring simple and without a battery, but I must say I am eyeing some the nice (but expensive) 12v conversions that are available.

Ajloene - you must be the guy from http://www.coolitalianbikes.com? I stumbled across your website and was scrutinizing all your images that showed the battery tray. Thanks for the above close-up images, that is exactly what I needed - I hadn't seen what I presume are the tabs for the battery straps on either side of the fender mount. I also presume a steel bracket mounted in the two small slots on the top of the vertical plate to anchor the top of the straps?

From your photo it looks like the tray is 2.75 inches wide?

Thanks again,

Keith

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:04 pm

" The extent of the wiring harness as I received the bike was one wire from the mag to the coil, interrupted by the toggle switch you see in the pic. I'll be constructing an entirely new wiring harness from scratch.
I also presume a steel bracket mounted in the two small slots on the top of the vertical plate to anchor the top of the straps? "

____ Correct, those two slots were for a nice fitting metal-cover which was made to hold the top of a particular 6-volt battery !

____ Since your '66SCR has been so very much altered, you should check to make sure that it's present alternator is the original 28-watt type. ... Do you have an ohm-meter or a circuit-tester?
__ I can instruct you on how to rewire the system to whatever your needs require!
Do you have the stock headlight ? _ If not, you might as well forget doing a restoration type wiring-job, and just complete only that which you require to be done (and thus keep it all as simple as possible).

DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob

kmev

Postby kmev » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 pm

I really haven't thought too far into the electrics yet, as I've been consumed with learning about the new-to-me Ducati single motor and making sure I'm rebuilding/reassembling the engine properly. My current thoughts are to recreate the battery-less wiring harness from the SCR/Mach 1 schematic with only a coil, head/tail lights, brake switch, and a kill switch. For now, I'm not planning on a horn or a high/low beam switch. I have the 6-sided headlight with switch, and I was going to see if I could wire that as the kill switch.

How do I determine which amp mag I have if it's disassembled?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”