Head steady?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Jordan

Head steady?

Postby Jordan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 pm

I've never seen a head steady on a Ducati, although it's almost universal on other vertical singles. Has anyone done this? Any noticeable improvements?

Jordan

Teckhardt

Re: Head steady?

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Guessing because for most of the Duc singles the engine is a stressed member of the frame. Is it not?

It's not a cradle mount like most motorcycles.
1970 450 SCR

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 am

That shouldn't make a difference. There are many diamond-framed bikes (those without a bottom cradle) that have heads attached to the frame. For example, Honda CB250RS. A firm attachment of head to frame would tend to prevent it shaking about.

Jordan

machten

Postby machten » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:17 am

A friend of mine fitted one to a 450 silver shotgun and he maintains it made quite a difference.

Kev

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:24 am

I have wondered about fitting a steady , the motors do shake as proven by the difference a rubber mounted float makes,has got to be worth a try.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 pm

machten wrote:A friend of mine fitted one to a 450 silver shotgun and he maintains it made quite a difference.

Kev

Sounds promising. Should be easy to do, too - a bracket bolted between a front cylinder/head bolt and the vertical frame gusset behind the headstock.

Jordan

machten

Postby machten » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 am

I think he actually welded a mount onto the central frame bar above the head, but I'll find out from him. He's my friend who had his own Ducati mechanic shop in the seventies and eighties, so I believe him when he say it made a significant difference. I must admit, I've never been totally sold on them on Ducati's as I'd have thought it must be transferring at least some of those stresses to somewhere not really intended to take it (as opposed to the Brit bikes designed with them). My 250 MK3D doesn't vibrate very much once past 3000rpm, and my 450MK3 was nowhere near as bad as I had been expecting. It does buzz a bit in the mid range (and will "walk" on the stand - which the 250 doesn't), but it doesn't rattle my fillings or anything. In fact, I think I find it an almost endearing characteristic!

Kev

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:19 am

i dont know of Nigel Lacey is still on this forum.
he would be the guy to say it makes a differance or not . i believe he fits head steadys to his race engines .

Eldert

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:28 am

machten wrote:Ducati's as I'd have thought it must be transferring at least some of those stresses to somewhere not really intended to take it (as opposed to the Brit bikes designed with them). My 250 MK3D doesn't vibrate very much once past 3000rpm, and my 450MK3 was nowhere near as bad as I had been expecting. It does buzz a bit in the mid range (and will "walk" on the stand - which the 250 doesn't), but it doesn't rattle my fillings or anything. In fact, I think I find it an almost endearing characteristic!

Kev

I don't think there's anything to worry about regarding undue stresses - we just want to stop the resonance-vibes. It seems so easy to do, even if it's only a small improvement the idea is attractive. Sure, some vibes are nice, but I knew of a 450 owner who regularly wore a kidney belt. Then again, it was a particularly bad one for some reason - other 450s I've experienced didn't vibrate so much. By the way, a funny thing - I was riding my Silver Shotgun when it developed really bad vibrations quite suddenly. When I got home, I noticed the bottom mounting bolt had lost its nut and was almost about to fall out, sticking out several inches.

Jordan

DewCatTea-Bob

Head-steady - Additional Mounting-point

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:34 pm

" I was riding my Silver Shotgun when it developed really bad vibrations quite suddenly. When I got home, I noticed the bottom mounting bolt had lost its nut "

____ Certainly indicative of confirming that vibration-amplitude is held-reduced with increased (tight) mounting-points ! _ (As Jordan seems to have been making note of.)

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”