Clutch pushrod seal

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kmev

Clutch pushrod seal

Postby kmev » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:50 pm

I'm getting ready to put the bottom end of my narrowcase back together, and looking through my gasket and seal kit I cannot find a seal to match the old clutch push rod seal that came out (the one on the left.) The small seal on the right has the correct ID, but obviously the OD is much different. Is this what the new push rod seals look like, or will I find a place for this one somewhere else in the motor? I figured I'd check here before I order a new seal from Domi racer and have the identical piece arrive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kmev

Re: Clutch pushrod seal

Postby kmev » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:09 am

Well, it would seem that the pushrod seal is no longer available. I'm going to make my own out of rubber, and if it ends up leaking like a sieve Lacey's makes this sweet little piece: http://www.laceyengineering.com/ducati/ ... p-224.html

I can't be the only one who's run into this lately. What have others done?

captpaul

Postby captpaul » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:30 am

Does the clutch rod seal that Lacey's sells go on from the inside or outside of the case?

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:22 am

" I cannot find a seal to match the old clutch push rod seal that came out (the one on the left.) "

____ A new seal is usually about only a half-mm smaller than a used one.
There's no real need to find a new (stock) one, if the old seal has not hardened (or, doesn't offer to smear an excessive amount of black onto your fingers) ...
I have simply flipped them over and backed-em-up with a tight fitting, thin fender-washer. -(Commonly found with roughly the same O.D. and with an ever-so-slightly larger I.D.)

DUCATIly,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kmev

Postby kmev » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:56 pm

I didn't expect the seal to be obsolete, so I pulled it out through the bearing with a needlenose pliers, and now there is a small tear on the sealing surface. I plan to reinstall the new one when I replace the bearing so I don't have to remove the swages on the outside of the case.

I emailed Lacey to learn how their conversion works. I assumed it pressed into the existing hole from the outside, but I looked up their seal number and the OD is of the seal itself is 15 mm (the same diameter of the OEM seal) so I'm not sure how the adaptor goes in.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:23 pm

I wonder if this is something Damien Birch would be interested in producing?

http://www.bevelrubber.com.au/

Not that it would come in time to help kmev. But if you can't find something and you ask Damien about it, sometimes he creates it and adds it to his catalog. Most everything he makes in rubber was once no longer available and became severely overpriced unobtanium until Damien started making it again. And everything Damien makes is 100% accurate and indistinguishable as a reproduction.

JPALOMO

Postby JPALOMO » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Here in Spain is difficault also to find this spare, then we use a ruber bougt in a plumber shop

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”