Mick Walker's motorcycle books

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Daniil

Mick Walker's motorcycle books

Postby Daniil » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:37 pm

In light of all criticism about the fact that these books included not just Ducatis and Mototrans, but other brands too, I edited this post to avoid any future disagreements. Enjoy. Dan
Last edited by Daniil on Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thevin

Re: Mick Walker's motorcycle books

Postby Thevin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 pm

I'll have to put those on my list I haven't seen those two....

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:04 am

" I grew up with Jawas in the 80's, so a GP type Jawa, besides Ducatis and Benellis, was my childhood dream. "

____ Gee Dan,, I, (like most all of us here), really am familiar with those kind of good-old-feelings which you seem to have tripped-on, inspired by that book.
I really don't wish to be 'The-HEAVY' -(balloon-popper) here but, I just really don't find this type of thing -(non-Ducati subject-matter) to be really worthy of being posted on this particular web.site.
I know that it seems like a good place to spout about such, but if somebody else sees it and then thinks it's probably okay to spout about their experience with some Brit-bike or the like, then you can see the trend that such as this could lead to.
I'm just making this point (early-on), so as to help keep this sort of thing in check and from getting out-of-hand. _ Cuz I really like that we have this (one & only) w.site for just Ducati-singles only! _ And I really hope we can all help to keep it that way! _ But if nobody says anything (at such a point as this), then likely nobody else ever will either, and then the weight will all be on just Jim's shoulders.
So please don't take my initiative personally!
__ For any others who may feel the need to defend Dan, please understand that doing so is really not necessary at all! _ As I do realize where Dan is coming from, and I do not outwardly disagree with him. _ But we should all realize that I'm fairly right on my point concerning this issue.
__ If it does turn-out that I am the one who's at all in the wrong here, then I'm sure that Jim will let us all know. _ But I really don't expect that Jim will bother to add much to this, unless I'm considerably out-of-line here. _ So let's just wait & see.
(If so however, then I'm very sorry for stepping-out-of-line, Jim & Dan !)

GoodCheers!
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

blabber

Postby blabber » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:04 am

i'll back dan on this one--bob you are either taking the piss or a non commissioned nazi moderator-he was talking about bikes---shhhh dont mention any other marque--this place will become infested---the earth is flat-the sky is falling-loosen up man---for someone who knows everything you seem a bit paranoid

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:43 am

" -bob you are either taking the piss or a non commissioned nazi "

____ See now blabber, you've gone-ahead and stirred the pot! While seemingly missing the sole point.
I wasn't on Dan's case at all man!!
If he had mentioned that he got the book on Italian-Bikes last year and then got a book on DUCATIs this year, then I wouldn't have thought to say a single thing about it! _ But that progression was reversed, and sorta seems like it could then possibly lead to talk about another book on 'World Wide Motorcycles of all Time' , perhaps featuring such as old Indian models etc., etc. !!
So you see, my point was not actually towards what Dan posted, but rather, towards any such trend which such posts could likely get started!
__ If you're accusing me of expecting this w.site to stay on track with DUCATI-singles as the main focus of most all postings, then you are quite correct! _ The only purpose of my post, was to just help dampen that which I'm obviously concerned about.
And I say that if you're not like-minded, then you ought to concentrate any such desires for non-DUCATI-singles related text, elsewhere, as there are plenty of other w.sites for such as that, to be found all over the www.net!!
__ Give me a break, let the beer-talk juice work through your system before you consider placing such posts as you have, blabber.

____ I sure hope that nobody else jumps-the-gun and causes Jim to have to get involved with this.
(If blabber later edits his post, then I'll likely do the same here.)

SadderCheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Daniil

Postby Daniil » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi all. Sorry if I bent the rules on his one, but the Italian Bikes book does have a HUGE Ducati section, let along racing history info. In fact, both books do. Ducati singles should be looked at in the context of history and their racing heritage, otherwise where would they be today? You would be collecting nameless undesirable motorcycles. What is the better way to learn about good all days of the racing heritage than from these two books. On the other hand, I think we are all well behaved here, so no moderators are needed for this board. I apologize if the content of my post is not too relevant. To my defense, I did propose a "cafe" or a "general" forum to Jim, creator of this board. I agree my last post would be more at home there if we had such section. Dan

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:33 pm

I'm glad you brought these books to at least "MY" attention, it didn't bother me one bit.
This forum is small and probably doesn't warrent sub sections as of yet, but I think if everybody keeps their cool here there might be time when it will..
I think we can all agree one one thing we love bikes...

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:44 am

By Daniil... Sorry if I bent the rules on his one, I apologize if the content of my post is not too relevant.

____ Dan, I'm very sorry that my post has lead to you feeling the need to use the words "Sorry" & "apologize"! _ That was not needed at all !
I had tried to make it fairly clear that you had done nothing unacceptable Dan, only that you had opened a door that could lead to unacceptable postings elaborating on such non-DUCATIs as you had mentioned. _ And I really wouldn't wish to think of how to tell somebody who started posting solely about their Jawa GP (or whatever), that they had crossed the line!
You certainly had NOT done so!
I only just felt the need to remind others to realize that a line exits, before they consider crossing it.
__ From past experience, I had figured that there would still be those who don't fully get the intended grasp of the purpose of my attempt, and would simply think that I was on-your-case,, so I guess my added bit that was intended to prevent that, somehow caused it to happen anyhow.
There was never really any need for anyone to think that you needed to be backed, (I guess I shouldn't have used the word "defend", as I had)!
__ If you had mentioned that that European book had even one piece about Ducati-singles in it, (I had already assumed it would), then your post would have been totally cool and quite at home,, and I wouldn't have bothered to comment at all ! _ As your post not only did not bend the rules, it was actually quite relevant! _ So it was just fine posted just where it was!
__ I'm very sorry that I failed to make my actual concern separately clear! _ Where I used the words "thing" & "such", I should've instead went-on to specifically state that I was referring to spouting/cheering about books (& such) on non-Ducati motorcycles.
__ So, I hope that I have now made myself quite clear that I never had anything firmly against your post, (only that it had seemed to lead toward allowing others to think that it might be okay to continue-on in that direction).
Now I must state that I'm sorry for having not taken the time to have written my wording in such a way that would've prevented this thread from sliding off-side as it now has!
____ Anyhow Dan, thanks for letting us know that that European book does indeed have a section on DUCATIs, (I hope it's not all on just the twins though)!

GoodCheers,
-Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:59 am

By Thevin: " I think we can all agree one one thing we love bikes... "

____ Sorry Thevin, _ while I, (for one), may think that a few other select motorcycles are really neat/cool, (think Ducati L-twins), I only have a "love" for 'DUKEs' !! _ NOTHING else!

DUKEs Forever!
-Bob

Daniil

Postby Daniil » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:33 am

Bob, no sweat. I am not five years old...

By the way, the Italian one is like one third about Ducati, and the European one has a chapter on Mototrans (which is a part of this board too). So, I take my apology back, the content of my post above was relevant except maybe a Jawa sidetrack :-) Dan

But honestly, lets put our disagreement aside already.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”