New 250 Project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

willyg

New 250 Project

Postby willyg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 am

Just purchased a 1966 250 Monza project. Hope to have it running soon. It is actually my first bike, ambitious yes, but I am not scared. Thanks for the great info on this forum.

I think I need a new right rear crank case cover. It looks like whenever the chain broke, it took some metal with it. The chain hood has been ground down but I think it is still good. Should I try and repair the cover or just replace?

I am waiting on a flywheel puller to get to the stator, as no wires are coming out of the plug. Any suggestions on upgrading to 12v? I prefer original equipment but as there is little left of the electrics in this bike, I am thinking of upgrading. Any advice is appreciated.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: New 250 Project

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:09 am

Welcome as our newest member 'willyg' !

" I think I need a new right rear crank case cover.
The chain hood has been ground down but I think it is still good. Should I try and repair the cover or just replace? "

____ Could you please post a picture of your particular situation?

" Any suggestions on upgrading to 12v?
Any advice is appreciated. "

____ Start-out with reading-through the thread about twin-lead alternators - (now nearing the bottom of page-1 of the topic-threads), and then ask any further questions.

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Willy,

I think there are two schools of thought on 6V vs. 12V.

Keeping the 6V system also keeps your bike stock. I have heard many 'experts' profess that the 6V system components are more than adequate at providing power for the bike (including the headlight) if everything is in good working order. Keeping the 6V system means you don't have to source 12V bulbs, a 12V coil, 12V horn, 12V battery and a 12V regulator to fit. On the down side though is that the 6V components like the light bulbs and regulator are hard to source replacements for in the event of a component failure.

I think that the 12V choice leads to two doors. Door #1 is to buy a 12V alternator ($$$) and door #2 is a method of using the 6V alternator to deliver 12V. In either case the light bulbs, coil, horn and regulator have to be converted over to 12V units. The advantage of a 12V system is reliability which is probably thought to be a by-product of newer components.

An argument could be made that you can get more power out of a 12-volt system and that may be true, but generating more power than the motorcycle consumes serves no purpose. Perhaps you could generate 150 watts of power, but if the motorcycle only consumes 30 watts to run the lights and ignition system, and another couple of watts to charge the battery there is little point to being able to create four times that power. Maybe you are going to run a Moto Giro and want to put a GPS unit on the bike. That won't consume a lot of power but it will need 12 volts to operate.

Having said the thing about generating more power than the bike can use makes me re-think my own statement... The standard headlight is perhaps a 25-watt unit and I suspect there is no 12V 25-watt headlight. So you would likely install a 12V 60-watt(ish) headlight and as such you would need 60 watts for the bulb, another 5 to 7 for the taillight/brake light, several watts for the ignition system and some watts to recharge the battery. So having an alternator that generates say 100 watts at 12 volts is almost a necessity.

With door #2 if the original alternator is the weak link in your system you may still have power problems. If you upgrade the headlight to 60-watt 12-volt unit, the 6-volt alternator may not be up to the task.

When you say there is little left of the electrics I would say there was little there to begin with, so your system may be more complete than you realize.

Jim

willyg

Postby willyg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. I need to read up more on the electrics.

Here is a pic of the the bike and the broken gearbox selector cover. (pic from under bike looking up)
When I say there is little of the electrics left, I mean no wires, regulator, or battery. Only a coil, points, spark plug, brake light switch.

-Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:03 pm

" Here is a pic of the the bike and the broken gearbox selector cover. "

____ Nice looking project-DUKE you have there !
From what I can make-out of the case-damage, I'd say that if it doesn't leak oil, then it should be okay to leave as is, since it's in a place that shouldn't easily show, and I don't see any important functional loss.

" I mean no wires, regulator, or battery. Only a coil, points, spark plug, brake light switch. "

____ Then if you are wishing to remain completely stock, it will become expensive, difficult to fulfill, & illogical ! _ And you still yet have to check-into what's-what with the alternator.
__ I'd recommend that you choose to update to all 12-volt parts, as they're cheaper & easier to find.
Also, I myself have all the experience to help you get through every single aspect of the entire job !
____ Thanks for the pix !

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:13 am

Welcome Willy

that is a sweet looking Duc. Look forward to seeing how you handle your electric problems.

My 450 is still 6 volt but I was fortunate to have all the parts there when I got mine. As long as the high dollar items remain functional, I'll keep it 6 volt. If I needed an alternator or voltage regulator, I'd probably avail myself of Bob's offer and pick his brain to do the swap. Right now I have an extra headlight and about 5 tail light bulbs as it seems to shake them to death with some regularity.

If that side cover were mine, I'd not worry about it, but keep my eye out for a right price type replacement. I see them occasionally going pretty reasonable and often on Ebay. By not being in a hurry, you don't have to jump on the first one that comes your way.

Good luck
Mike

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”