Static timing a 200GT

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Static timing a 200GT

Postby Ventodue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:14 am

I thought I'd post this, largely as a matter of record and in the hope that someone might find it useful. Not my own work, but Andy Farrer's, based on his extensive experience of preparing Ducati singles. (Carl Liebold wrote something on the same lines but as it runs to 10 sides, I thought Andy's might be more appropriate).

"Setting the ignition timing on singles with points

There were three different types of advance/retard unit fitted to Ducati singles with points ignition. In addition, over the years, units may have been modified/altered for all manner of theories/reasons/assumptions; or indeed completely different advance/retard units may have been fitted.

This means that the only figure that's important is the FULL advance.

To do this, simply lock the unit in the fully advanced position using a simple 'button" (see sketch), and then set the timing (i.e. the instant the points open) as closely as you can.

To lock the unit in position, I either turn up a suitable button/top-hat from aluminium, or use a simple 'dished washer'. (The second sketch illustrates an easy way to 'Dish washers'!)
AF 1.jpg

Set the points to 0.014" to 0.016" and ensure the points are meeting square and flat. Then, carefully ensure the points are opening cleanly at the following degrees:

125cc 52° btdc.
160cc 44° btdc.
175/200cc 40° btdc.
250cc 38° btdc.
350cc 36° btdc.
450cc 28° btdc.

Afterwards release the button and using a flat washer, refit the cam centre screw that holds the A/R unit onto the shaft.

Finally check the static value.

Notes:
I always use the fully advanced method of timing for the simple reason that's the one that's imperative when a motors revving and pulling hard.

I run my 250cc/350cc race bikes on 'Fixed Advance'. No problems whatsoever starting, even when starting simply by "pulling/flicking' the rear wheel round by hand.

Andy Farrer"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”