Very late production NC 250 Mk3

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Kreece

Very late production NC 250 Mk3

Postby Kreece » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 pm

Hello all,

I have a 1966 Mk3 narrow case with a very intriguing feature I have never seen on narrow case bikes. Mine has the later wide case starter improvement cast into the NC cases. Does anyone know how many NC bikes were built with the later more reliable WC kick start internals?
The serial number is 999XX. I bought several Mk3s from Tom Bailey and this was the newer of the two bikes. It had been raced on the east coast and is now back to stock road bike condition.

Thanks in advance for any insight the group may have and thanks for the add. This forum has bee a great help in my restoration of a number of bevel singles over the years.

Ken

Bevel bob

Re: Very late production NC 250 Mk3

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:47 am

Not clear what starter gear parts you are refering to ,but a common modification to fit a coil spring instead of the leaf spring was usual . I did it to mine.

Kreece

Postby Kreece » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:16 pm

I am referring to the coil spring conversion cast into the case. Not an aftermarket conversion. I will take pictures next time I have the side cover off.

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:54 pm

my Mark 3 NC is stated to be a1969 bike , but i understand that they finished around 67 , I have always thought it was a 66/67 bike as it came from Vic Camps shop and the registration number was almost the same as Vics 67 M3 that Paul Smart took to Spain to win the 24Hr endurance race. My bike was also race tuned at some time and bears plenty of scars. The spring conversion looks very similar to the later improved design ,perhaps they did uprate some bikes , send pictures. Back in the day we bought a new Mach 1 from Vic that he had set up for production racing with a few special parts . He just sold it as a standard bike ( i think he needed a sale badly) . We found out later that it was a bit special , it was crazy fast.(almost too much for a learner rider on "L" plates !.)

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:06 pm

Hi Ken

late type narrowcase engines had this kickstart setup instead of the forked leaf spring .

there is a coil under that bridge.

Eldert

Kreece

Postby Kreece » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:44 pm

Thanks Eldert! That answers my question. Any idea when this change happened?

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:56 am

Looks like you could be missing a spacer and shim from the kickstart shaft.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”