Silentium muffler qustion

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimLardassian

Silentium muffler qustion

Postby JimLardassian » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:07 pm

Apologies if this has been dealt with before. I did not find anything when I did a search, but very willing to accept responsibility if I merely failed to find what is there.

My question is regarding Silentium mufflers. I have 3 here that are all slightly different from each other and I'm wondering what they were originally fitted to. One is 28.5 inches long with what I think of as a regular Brevetti Silentium Interfon-Special logo stamp and no part number. The other two are 25.5 inches long, one with the same Silentium stamp as the longer muffler, also with no part number, the other with no Silentium logo but MOTO DUCATI and IGM 0285 S.

If any one knows which was fitted to what, or what the differences are between them (other than the obvious length and stampings) I would appreciate any information.

Thank you

Bevel bob

Re: Silentium muffler qustion

Postby Bevel bob » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:29 am

If you are building a high performance 250 then the commonly sold replacement which can be fitted to several engine sizes is too restrictive . The Mach 1 / M3 narrowcase had a less restrictive bigger outlet silencer.

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:13 am

Jim

The one marked "Moto Ducati" will be an aftermarket replacement. The other 2 may be original, but some of the replica silencers are also marked up the same as the originals. If the chrome is poor and pitted it's probably original :-) The internals of replica silencers vary and some are very restrictive others less so. Maybe post some pictures, none sound short enough to be SCR, but the style of the silencers will tell more.

Nigel

A.I.M

Postby A.I.M » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:19 pm

Jim,
My Spanish Mototrans scrambler had a 50cm / 19 ¾” long Silentium silencer.
The stamping on it was:
Silentium
Brevettato
MOTO DUCATI
I believe this was the original as I bought it at 3 years old from a neighbour, so I knew the history of the bike. I removed and lost the baffle at some point over the years.
Yours are too long to be SCR silencers.

Cheers,
Al

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:01 pm

Can you post a pic of your mufflers side by side?

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:12 pm

As Nigel and Mark have said : only photos can help.

As you can imagine, many different types of silencers were fitted to Ducati singles over the years, varying not only according to model type but also according to the country in which each bike was sold.

So the widecase parts book 1968-73 alone has 11 different models (look on pages 30-32, under the heading 'SC'). And then there's all the n/c models, the Mototrans bikes, the 2-strokes, the non-bevel drives ...

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”