My Technical Contribution - WC Bevel Gear Simulator

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rbranst

My Technical Contribution - WC Bevel Gear Simulator

Postby Rbranst » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:37 pm

Screenshot 2024-02-14 102405.jpg

Gang - I have attempted to unwind the mystery of timing dots through my own two bikes and lots of reading on here. I wanted to be able to simulate what the gears look like in various phases of rotation. You can even then imagine (I wish I could illustrate) the olham coupling that is only correct (based on bevel tower setup) once every 10 rotations.

https://geargenerator.com/beta/#0oyRw2Y ... inJGYXdT$5

This link should take you to my attempt to recreate the Bevel timing and gears.

I have had to stack gears on axles to simulate the bevel top and bottom tower gears as well as the two gears on the crank for bevel tower and oil/timing.
If you play with it, note rotation on the crank gear. After 10 crank rotations, everything aligns again as it should. The dots all work well until you get to the oil gear idler that feeds the timing gear. Due to limitations of this software, I cannot put two dots to indicate the second set for the timing gear to line up. The dot on the timing gear here is really just indicating rotation, so I chose bottom so I could eyeball it. What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rbranst on Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (US)
1972 Mototrans 250 Road

Rbranst

Re: My Technical Contribution Gear Simulator

Postby Rbranst » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:29 pm

In my simulator everything lines back up after 10 crank rotations, except the oil pump gear, which doesn’t really matter since it is a idler gear. It is driving the timing gear which does indeed return to SAME starting point every two rotations. So I think this model is good. Helpful for anyone????
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (US)
1972 Mototrans 250 Road

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”