Ignition option for 450

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Ignition option for 450

Postby graeme » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:19 pm

Any opinions and experience on electronic ignition ?
I'm building a 450 desmo track bike for my son.
I need to buy an alternator and I thought about Electrix World in UK.
Are their ignitions good ?

I have a 450RT with Sachse ignition which is ok.
I also have a '74 desmo and '74 Scrambler both with original red box Ducati ignition that work well too.

Thoughts ????

Regards
Graeme

Jordan

Re: Ignition option for 450

Postby Jordan » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:36 am

I would avoid any ignition system that has the coils embalmed within potting compound.
My old Motoplat system worked well for several years, but eventually burned out the ignition charging coil.
Being potted, it was not practical to repair, and the only professional repairer I could find locally was too expensive.
Digging through my dead Motoplat's resin, I found it had a diode buried alongside the coil wires. Not user friendly!
Ducati's own elec ign also had an ignition charging coil, but mercifully they did not bury the wires in resin, so repairs would be much easier.

There are good reports from people who have bought more recent elec igns for their singles. I would still avoid potted items if possible.
It would also be good if it behaved like the originals:
- no battery needed for sparks.
- automatic advance-retard without mechanical parts.

I worked out a solution to have electronic, pointless ignition on my single.
It works well, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a lot of free time and have access to a milling machine.

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:06 am

Hello Jordan,

I understand your comments and agree with your comment about a separate ignition charging coil on the alternator for spark. Ducati did very well in 1974 with their setup. Proof is my Desmo and scrambler still working well after all these years, (I’ve done it now) :oops:
I have bits of one of these systems, but being old and unknown I would like to use something more modern.

Would still like to hear some feedback on modern charging and ignition

I have had issues with the Sachse on the RT, which blew black box apart. (literally)
Not bad mouthing Sachse as this was an earlier model made when Volker was alive.
But has performed well since sending the box back to Sachse and on advice from a friend who is an electronics person, fitting a resistor looking thing to divert over voltage.

Regards
Graeme

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:15 am

I fitted Lucas Rita ignition to the 350 mk 3 about 15 years ago and it has behaved faultlessly ever since......easy starting and would rev super cleanly unit the engine would explode. I know they are no longer available....but I have seen the odd new old stock one appear on ebay now and again. Like Jordan I ran Motoplat on the 350 for years until it burnt out and there was no fixing off it......it also always had a poor starting spark. Cheers, George

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:14 pm

I installed the electrex stator flywheel and RR on my 200GT. I still use the original points and coil. I get 7.3V at the battery while idling with lights on. 7.5V when at 3000k rpm.

https://laceyducati.com/ducati-parts/el ... 9_251_352/

IanHood

Postby IanHood » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:44 pm

I have the full, alternator and ignition, Electrex set up on my 450 Desmo and it is excellent but Nigel also does self generating race ignitions which may be better for your application - https://laceyducati.com/ducati-parts/se ... 1_349_353/

Worth dropping Nigel a line - he's extremely helpful and knowledgable.

Ian

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:25 pm

IanHood wrote: <snip> Worth dropping Nigel a line - he's extremely helpful and knowledgable.

My thought entirely ...

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:26 pm

Aye Graeme,

As Ian says
Worth dropping Nigel a line - he's extremely helpful and knowledgable.

My '74 450MKIII has an Electrex alternator Electrex_W163 The intention was to continue to use the mechanical points/coil etc and as you may recall this induced a 24 month hiatus in owning a reliably running motorcycle, with the carburettor being blown off the stub in sheets of flame and ..........zzzzzzzz! If you really want the details see my earlier posts on this forum.

After the aforementioned hiatus, I finally admitted defeat and purchased an Electrex Hall effect ignition kit Electrex_STK-169D from Nigel Lacey (N.B. Electrex's agent for all their Ducati single ignition kits), followed the clear fitting and timing instructions. Followed my usual, prime cylinder two kicks, ease over TDC, swinging kick and the old bird chimed in, adjusted choke to #1,200rpm tickover and it sat there as happy as a Lister cement mixer. Once warmed through, ticks over, picks up and revs out, all with no problems. Now 8,500+ miles later and the ignition never adjusted, the engine still starts, ticks over and revs, with no issues. Points!?! Nah! Why would you?

My suggestion would be the Electrex STK-168D Electrex STK-168D

However, give Nigel a call. All the best Graeme and safe scratching for your son.

Good health, Bill

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:07 am

Hi Graeme,

I'm happy with my Eletrex STK-163-69, I've only switched the regulator with a voltage adjustable model from Sachse. Not an issue if you don't need lights and so on.

Cheers

Wolf

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:37 am

themoudie wrote: <snip> ... happy as a Lister cement mixer.

LOL. Brings back memories. Thanks for that, Bill ;)

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”