WARNING: INCORRECT-Info Published in many Workshop Manuals!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

WARNING: INCORRECT-Info Published in many Workshop Manuals!

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:05 am

____ I have long felt the need to let fellow-DUKErs know that a considerable amount of info/data published within commonly available Workshop Manuals for DUCATI-Singles, contain anything from somewhat slightly-misleading information, to completely INCORRECT data !
This warning does not include most every original Ducati Owners Manuals, (of which I don't recall ever seeing any really questionable info within).
__ Now for those of you who are fortunate enough to have the older Clymer-book rather with the ORANGE-colored outer-covers, you may feel more safe & assured ! _ Because, (like original 'Ducati Owner's Manual' books), I don't recall ever noting anything outwardly wrong in that particular Workshop Manual (original-type editions).
However, many of the newer editions (which are smaller & with white or light-blue covers), are unfortunately loaded with misinformation! _ So with those later editions, it's just not safe to trust that everything within them is exactly correct ! _ Therefore whenever you are in need of some important information within one of those newer-editions, you really ought-to get that particular info confirmed, from another independent source.
Unfortunately, it seems that all the workshop-manuals which I've ever seen for DUCATI-singles, leave a good bit to be desired, in one way or another !
__ Anyhow, if anyone out there finds any differing info from two different sources, which do-not exactly agree,, then I'm quite sure that I could confirm for you which is most correct.
Now if you just happen to be somebody who knows about as much concerning DUKEs (OHC-singles) as I do, and you are certain that there are no errors in the WorkShop issue which you have, then I'd figure that you have a very much updated & newer edition than any of those which I've ever had ! _ As my newest editions were printed & issued in the late 1980s.
(So check the date of issue for whatever edition you happen to have.)
But even if the publishers have released much newer editions, I'd still suspect that some errors could still possibly be found within. _ So it certainly shouldn't hurt to cautiously double-check any related data concerning any intended work-job before going onward-ahead with completing your work-effort !
__ I'd be somewhat glad to address any such concern (on any subject within any such manual) of which anyone would like to present ! _ (As there's nearly next-to-nothing that I'm unaware of concerning Ducati-made parts; specs; operations; etc., for the OHC-singles.)

DUKEs Forever,
DewCatTea-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

JimF
Site Admin

Re: WARNING: INCORRECT-Info Published in many Workshop Manuals!

Postby JimF » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Bob,

Perhaps we could start a web page that identifies known misinformation in the available manuals, adds new information that the manuals should have thought to contain, and lastly maybe a table of torque values too.

Jim

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:37 pm

http://www.amazon.com/DUCATI-SINGLES-MA ... 282&sr=8-1

This thread seems like a good place and time to revisit Ton Bailey's book which has yet to be published. Perhaps Tom would like us as individuals to petition his publisher to get this book in print.

I will email Tom and see if there is something we can do to light a fire under the publisher.

Jim

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 am

I'm in for one of Tom's books!

I also think I may have one of the orange-cover manuals... I could scan certain pages if it would help?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”