250 Silentiums

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

nalimugmug

250 Silentiums

Postby nalimugmug » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 pm

Hi,

Here's a quote from JimF a while back-

"I know what you mean about the SIlentiums though. Repros are available but they don't have that beautiful logo engraved in them."

-------

I acquired a beat up original silencer and not wanting a repro asked my plating shop to do the best they could-well it turned out rather as expected-dreadful. I then returned the silencer to the plating shop and asked them to completely remove the pitted logo, get everything nice and flat and then triple copper plate the silencer.

That was the easy bit-how to get the original logo engraved? Lots of engravers wouldn't touch the job, but I persevered and found an engraver who was willing to take on the job. To assist him, I sent an original silencer for him to copy along with the copper plated item.

I'm in awe at the skill this guy has, he did all this by hand-simply amazing. His price was beer money as well-

Some pics of the process

He's based here in the UK if anybody is interested let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duccout

Re: 250 Silentiums

Postby Duccout » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:43 am

Lovely! I bet it did not take him long either, these artistic types find things so easy, like the people who free-hand paint lines on petrol tanks.

Cheers,

Colin

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:19 am

If you have a Mach 1 or a similar level of tune then an orriginal Mach i silencer is worth saving as it is different to the replacements on offer. Replacements are more restricted and dont work as well , But are ok on 175 and 250 's in a low state of tune.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:36 am

My late fathers first career for 30 odd years was as an industrial engraver working for Harland and Wolf shipyard... he hand engraved the very worn petrol cap lettering on my mach1 many years ago, all done in 25mins at the kitchen table...... amazing stuff, wish I had got him teach me. Cheers George

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:45 am

Will you forward the engraver's contact information to me? Thanks.

I have a repro Silentium that I would like to have done.

Jim

nalimugmug

Postby nalimugmug » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:47 am

Hi Jim,

Done.

Regards

Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”