Base gasket required?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rbranst

Base gasket required?

Postby Rbranst » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:44 pm

Guys- on the parts sites I see an aluminum base gasket. Is this needed or only in certain scenarios? I have a full new Athena gasket kit, but I am wondering if I need the aluminum gasket spacer or not ? 68 250.
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (US)
1972 Mototrans 250 Road

Duccout

Re: Base gasket required?

Postby Duccout » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:51 am

I'd be interested in the answer to this question. AFAIK the aluminium gaskets come in three sizes, but I don't know if it is to correct variations in the machining of the barrel and head, and thus adjusting the squish clearance, or to adjust the compression ratio for different models or markets where petrol was lower octane.

Cheers,

Colin

Rbranst

Postby Rbranst » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:49 pm

Great additional questions. Since the head and barrel were off of mine, when I got it, I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to have a bass gasket at all let alone what size and since I have an MC supply forge piston that is oversized I too have questions about squish..
1968 Ducati 250 Scrambler (US)
1972 Mototrans 250 Road

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:28 pm

All five of my Ducati Singles have had the aluminium base gasket, so it appears that it is necessary, or maybe it was just a way of increasing performance if the owner wished?

Cheers,

Colin

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:47 pm

As far as I am aware it's to adjust the compression ratio, I have only found these on sebrings and monzas. Cheers, George

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:12 pm

It's good to have this easy way to alter compression ratio if desired.
It takes advantage of the OHC engine's feature of a vertical shaft with sliding coupling.

I would probably not ever fit an aluminium spacer, as my bike doesn't have a mild cam profile and I'd like it to be as quick as possible.
So, a paper gasket is all I'd use at the cylinder base.
If a metal spacer were used, this would need two paper gaskets, above and below it.
A non-hardening liquid gasket compound could be used instead, at the risk of blocking the oil passage.

HMBAtrail

Postby HMBAtrail » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:48 pm

I've always used the aluminum spacers to adjust for squish band clearance.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:32 pm

After I rebuilt my 75 250 desmo (with a std spec?? ) borgo forged piston.... At tdc the piston was hitting the plug points and closing the gap a bit (now using two solid copper plug washers) I had an alloy barrel base spacer plate (from a monza) in my spares stash but having the motor just built I couldn't be bothered to pull it apart again..... However next time I will fit it. Cheers George

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:54 pm

I wonder if the alloy gaskets were simply insurance against incorrect clearance between squish band and piston, due to poor machining tolerances? Otherwise workers would have to check the clearance on each engine.

Interestingly, Velocettes also used a steel compression plate under the barrel, which most owners removed in the hunt for higher performance.

Cheers,

Colin

George

Postby George » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:33 pm

Somewhere on this forum is a post by Nigel Lacey explaining how and why to set correct squish band clearance. It would be a good idea to use this post to check if you need Alli gasket, as you have so many unknowns,
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”