Red 6-volt DC Coil compared to Green 6-volt AC Coil

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Red 6-volt DC Coil compared to Green 6-volt AC Coil

Postby JimF » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:22 pm

I've been asked what the static resistances are for both the Ducati AC green coil and DC red coil.

I was able to find both style coils among my spare coils. I have coils with Ducati labels assuring me that two types of coils and I am not reading coils made for another brand.

I have no way to assure these coils are good, but given that there is measurable resistance through both internal coil windings it is likely that the coils are good.

I checked my multimeter by measuring a known resistance before making these measurements.

two coils.jpg

Each "coil" has two coils inside the can, The first coil winding (the primary) is measured across the two threaded terminals on opposite sides of the Bakelite top.

My green coil measured 3.8 ohms of primary winding resistance across the two threaded terminals. The secondary winding is measured from the terminal that the black wire connects to and the center contact under the cap, where the high voltage wire connects. The secondary winding measured 11K ohms (That's 11,000 ohms.)

Green.jpg

My red coil measured 1.7 ohms of primary winding resistance across the two threaded terminals. The secondary winding measured 600K ohms (That's 600,000 ohms.)

Worth noting is that the black wire's terminal on either version exhibited no resistance to the coil's metal can. This is why it is necessary to ground the black wire to the frame. Clamping the coil's metal can to the frame does not provide the required electrical connection to the frame.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Re: Red 6-volt DC Coil compared to Green 6-volt AC Coil

Postby Ventodue » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:39 am

Good stuff! Thanks Jim.

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:57 pm

I want to add this from another post so if someone is searching for this answer they will find it here.

Originally, the AC coils had a green sticker and the DC ones a red sticker. Then later on again they moved to stamping the bottom of the coils. AC in Italian = CA (corrente alternata), DC = CC (corrente continua).

I checked one of my "4 ohm" coils and sure enough 6Vca was stamped on it.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:14 pm

Thanks for the good information on the stampings. I have at least two coils that have no remnants of the stickers. It's good to know that they are still identifiable.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”