Recent "Forum has no topics"

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

Recent "Forum has no topics"

Postby JimF » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:37 pm

I saw a user in the forum members named "anonymous" and my knee-jerk reaction was to suspect it was someone with nefarious intentions.

I deleted the anonymous user. That was a (BIG) mistake. That action made the forum's topics invisible without having log in credentials and logging in.

The forum is now fixed and everyone can now view the topics and threads without logging in.

Jim

themoudie

Re: Recent "Forum has no topics"

Postby themoudie » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:47 pm

AH! Ha! :twisted: So it was you Jim! :lol: I thought my browser was to blame, with another load of "protection".

Thank you for your time and patience moderating the forum, it is very much appreciated.

Good health, Bill

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:24 am

Yeah I thought something odd had happened too :? ......oh well sorted now :) my thanks too Jim for your hard work keeping this all going 8-)
Cheers,
George

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:41 am

Go Jim! :D

Well done, and thanks for all your hard work. Much appreciated.

(Better not put you in charge of the nuclear button, however ... :o )

A.I.M

Postby A.I.M » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:10 pm

Hi Jim,
This little incident highlights how important your behind-the-scenes work is for this community, THANKS!
For me, it also raises a question about what might happen to the site and all the knowledge and data on it if you could no longer do this vital work. This is (probably) the most comprehensive and important English-language source on earth for Ducati singles. Are you solely responsible for keeping it available? Can we (or incompetent me) somehow help you to guarantee the long-term continuity of the site?
Trying to be helpful,
Al

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:36 am

You’re not the first to think about the end of the forum. It’s crossed my mind as well. For now though it will be around until I die or become senile.

For context I am 69 years old and I believe I’m in good heath.

With no other intervention the forum lasts until the annual billing from the web hosting provider goes unpaid, and when it goes unpaid for too long they’ll ‘pull the plug’ and unfortunately the forum will cease to exist.

The forum and website’s not much of a chore because I haven’t done anything to the website for years and the forum has been very robust. This latest snafu was my own doing because I am a “hack” at all things web related and I did something I should have known not to do.

The forum software version is way behind but i need to ask the web host provider to update their server software before the forum software can be updated.

I just pay the bill every year and every three years or so I pay to renew the domain name.

Maybe I’ll start a new thread about getting someone else on the web hosting account so they would get notified of the unpaid fee the year I die and fail to pay. That person could then solicit donations to circumvent the forum’s demise.

blethermaskite

Postby blethermaskite » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:20 am

Jim,
If I have got this right.....are you personally paying to maintain this forum with no other source of financial support? I am sure collectively 'we' would all be more than happy to assist with this.........
Cheers,
George

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:08 pm

Yes, I pay the costs of the forum. It’s not a lot.

Decades ago I would post questions about my first Ducati single on Bevelheads which seemed to me to be far more heavily loaded with content regarding the Ducati twins.

The way the Bevelheads mailing list works, within hours my single-cylinder related questions were pushed way down the chain by the more recent questions and replies to twin-cylinder related content. For this reason it often took days to get a reply if at all.

Searching the Bevelheads for prior questions and replies that might answer my questions was difficult if not impossible as I recall.

I started this forum to benefit myself: mostly to get help and then to offer help if I could. I’ve benefited from this forum far more than I’ve contributed. It is and has always been commercial/advertiser free, and I do not share your email addresses/information with anyone for any reason.

Thanks to all of you Motoscrubs forum members past and present the cost of hosting this forum has been an absolute bargain. This forum’s value is wholly attributable to the participation of all its members.

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:54 pm

Thanks Jim for your benevolence, this is a great Forum. I must admit I don't post a great amount, but I look in most days, and there is generally something of interest to read.
Many thanks.
Brian
Made in England

A.I.M

Postby A.I.M » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:50 pm

blethermaskite wrote:Jim,
If I have got this right.....are you personally paying to maintain this forum with no other source of financial support? I am sure collectively 'we' would all be more than happy to assist with this.........
Cheers,
George

I'm with George on this, I'd certainly be very happy to support in any way I can.
Same as Brian, I browse the forum almost every day and get a lot of pleasure from reading the trials, tribulations,
problems identified and solved through the collective efforts of the community, the successes and sagas of the bikes and their owners.
Cheers,
Al

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”