Front shockers 1975 Scrambler 250

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

IanM

Re: Front shockers 1975 Scrambler 250

Postby IanM » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:11 pm

Again a big thanks for both of yours help. The short screws would probably explain why the forks fell apart when I un did the top seal holder! Should there be a circlip holding the seal in the housing? John, you mentioned you may have some spares, would you have a couple of them available if I do need them? Or know where I can source them if required.
Colin, I read your oil post, is 20w50 correct for my engine? (250 wide case Spanish built)
Again, thanks for any help.

Ian.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:29 pm

Hi Ian,

There are circlips that hold the seal in place, simple flat type without ears, you should be able to buy them. I have the original screws out of my Telescos somewhere, if I find them I will let you know the dimensions.

As for oil, it is a controversial subject, but Nigel Lacey uses Silkolene Comp 4 20/50 and Brook Henry in Australia who is an expert on the big bevel vee twins recommends any good 20/50, so that is good enough for me.

Cheers,

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:11 pm

Hi Ian,

The fork drain screws are 28mm long (not including the heads), the threaded section is 9.5mm long, the plain section is 3.8mm dia, and there is a short taper (2.5mm long) at the end to assist with locating the screw in the damper hole.

Cheers,

Colin

IanM

Postby IanM » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:44 pm

Thanks Colin for the screw dimensions. Unfortunately they would have been a bit too long for my bike so I made these from stainless steel allen bolts and they seem to have done the jobs as the forks are now functioning properly with no leaks, Result.
So I readied myself for my maiden voyage up the driveway and a lap around the estate opposite my house which is uphill so any breakdowns and I could free wheel it home!
It didn't happen, as soon as I put it into gear, it was pretty obvious the clutch wasn't disengaging.. Wound the cable adjusters out as far as could at both ends of the cable and still wouldn't disengage. I guess I'm now going to have to take it apart and try and free up the plates. I had this on an old vespa, and the jolt of putting it into gear freed the plates. Didn't work on the Ducati. Is there an obvious solution to this (ie. not having to disassemble it) or is it a dismantle job?
Again. thanks in advance for any help

Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:18 am

It’s not too bad to get at the clutch. If you put a bit of wood under the left side of the mainstand and lean the bike to the right, there is no need to drain the oil. Pop off the left side cover and it’s all visible.
Ian

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:53 am

IanM wrote:<snip> Is there an obvious solution to this (ie. not having to disassemble it) or is it a dismantle job?

Pull it apart, Ian, is my advice.

It's not a big job after all - I've even done it roadside ... :o

Clutch centre rdcd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”