350 Road 3rd gear slipping out

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

George

350 Road 3rd gear slipping out

Postby George » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:57 pm

I have covered a few enjoyable miles on the restored 1976 Mototrans 350 Road apart from one problem. Whether changing up into 3rd or changing down into 3rd bike slips out of gear. No problem with other 4 gears so don't think selector is the cause. Before I think about a winter strip down any suggestions of what to look for would be appreciated.
George Essex UK

Jordan

Re: 350 Road 3rd gear slipping out

Postby Jordan » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:11 pm

Suspect rounded dogs on gears 2 & 3 on the output shaft.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:51 am

Hi George,

From what I've seen on Spanish sites it seems to be a common problem. All is not lost though, there is a simple fix (if you are lucky). Often the cause is wear between the tang of the selector drum and the claw of the shaft from the selector box, which means that the gears are not being pushed into position properly. If you take some shim (as thick as will fit while allowing the parts to fit easily) and bend it around the tang to take out the play, then you may have no more trouble.

I know that this works because I have done it with success. I guess that in the long run the tang can be built up with stellite and ground for a good fit.

Good luck,

Colin

George

Postby George » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:41 am

Duccout wrote:Hi George,

From what I've seen on Spanish sites it seems to be a common problem. All is not lost though, there is a simple fix (if you are lucky). Often the cause is wear between the tang of the selector drum and the claw of the shaft from the selector box, which means that the gears are not being pushed into position properly. If you take some shim (as thick as will fit while allowing the parts to fit easily) and bend it around the tang to take out the play, then you may have no more trouble.

I know that this works because I have done it with success. I guess that in the long run the tang can be built up with stellite and ground for a good fit.

Good luck,

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for suggestion but I would have thought that I would have trouble with other gears and they are working well.

Hi Jordan, your suggestion sounds feasible. Shame to have to strip engine after recent restoration but I didn't realise how often I used 3rd gear until I couldn't. Going from 2nd straight to 4th is not a good idea in traffic. Owning classic bikes is never easy, at least I can use the Elite, like to ride all year so can expect plenty of cleaning / polishing.
George Essex UK

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:28 pm

Hi George,

Check your messages, I have sent you a couple of PMs.

Cheers,

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”