Alternator Wires

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

themoudie

Re: Alternator Wires

Postby themoudie » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:02 am

Aye Colin,
A browse through the Ducatis for sale on Milanuncios shows a lot of Stradas and Forzas (particularly Forzas) that have been off the road for a long time, probably as a result of a 'mishap'.

Behind me Satan! :twisted:

Good health, Bill

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:26 am

I think part of the reason so many bikes are laid up in Spain is to do with the Spanish taxation system.
I believe that if a vehicle is off the road for some time, or sold to a new owner after a few years, the road tax that is due has to be paid from when the vehicle was last on the road.
That would mean paying ten years back tax if a vehicle had been off the road ten years.
If you look at prices of Spanish bikes for sale, any that are currently up and running and in use command quite high prices, whereas similar bikes that have been off the road for any longer period of time can be very cheap.

There is also a problem of passing the ITV for a bike that has been off the road for a while (DVLA in the UK or DMV in the US) which can insist on bikes that have been off the road being in exactly the condition that they were delivered from the Factory, even to inappropriate tyre sizes or the wrong seat.
That said, I've rebuilt a number of Mototrans bikes with very low mileages that have obviously been laid aside due to a minor fault.

Jon

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:35 am

Yes, that makes sense and would explain why so many Forzas and Stradas are for sale very cheaply, compared to the earlier, more desirable models like 24 Horas, Roads and Scramblers. Most of the non-running Forzas for sale are covered in a thick coating of dust (as was my Strada) and have obviously been stored for a long time. The Spanish papers that my bike came with were dated 1981 so maybe it had not been used since then?

Further to the original title of this thread, I received my shrink-wrap tubing today and have successfully covered the offending wires, so hopefully they will be ok.

Cheers,

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”