Only one generator wire producing voltage and current

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ranton_rambler

Re: Only one generator wire producing voltage and current

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:28 pm

I think you have the same as my 175TS? I couldn't measure any problems with the coils, so I refitted it and it's working fine.
I can't remember the details exactly but I recall there is a central ground point between the 2 coils which I isolated from ground (as advised somewhere in the Technical section of Motoscrubs). I fitted new high-temperature cable to bring the electricity out into the world and used an Electrex reg-rec set up for 12V operation. RR163 I think. The headlamp is an LED unit to reduce demand but I don't often ride in the dark on this bike anyway.
Ian

DSCF5241small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:45 pm

Additional info - the ground connection is at the same end as the 2 output wires, but on the other coil. You may need to take the coils off the mountings to see it? I think I decided each coil was actually 2 windings on one core, with a central ground - central in electrical terms. Hence the 2 linking wires.
Ian

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:14 pm

Ventodue, I would like a copy of your 200 SS/TS wiring diagram. Thanks.

Ian, I suppose by ungrounding the stator that changed it to 12 volts vs. 6. Thanks for the info on where the ground is.

George

Postby George » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:29 pm

mrkprsn wrote:Jordan,

I already have the old stator out of the bike and there are no replacement rectifiers for the Elite.

Thanks for your help, Mark

A bridge rectifier will be suitable. I fitted one to one of my other bevel single Ducati's. Sample shown in link and available elsewhere. Paul Goff sells them
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282555840569 ... BMjIXsieRi
George Essex UK

mrkprsn

Postby mrkprsn » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:40 pm

George,

I think that's what I am going to try next. Put the old stator back in and use a bridge rectifier link the one in your link.

Do I need to "unground" the stator coils in order to use this. If I do "unground" does that change it to a 12 volt system? Thanks for the info...Mark

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:57 am

mrkprsn wrote:Ventodue, I would like a copy of your 200 SS/TS wiring diagram.

"No sooner asked than answered ". Let me know if anything is not clear.

200 wiring.jpg

200 front cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:28 am

mrkprsn wrote: In my both my parts books (Elite & 200GT) the illustration shows a 3 wire stator, but as you can see the stator (yours and mine) had only two wires <snip>

There seems to have been a short period during the mid-1960s when a 40W, two-wire stator may have been fitted.

I stand to be corrected on this, as on all things; but the wiring diagram in the April 1964 handbook for the 250 Diana and Monza labels the stator as 40W (two-wire).

But in July in the same year, in the handbook for the 250 GT and Mach 1, while it's still two-wire it's now labelled as a 60W. The wiring diagram itself doesn't appear to have been changed, just the label. (And so it continues in later handbooks, as well as in the January 1966 factory manual).

I don't know where that takes us; and maybe the April 1964 handbook just got the description wrong ... But if that isn't the case, it does open up the possibility that your 200 either got this stator from new, or that someone retro-fitted one later - ?

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:37 am

I wonder if the power output was re-defined when they changed from the simple rectifier to the "black brick" type? I think the first would give half-wave rectification where the second would be full-wave and therefore more of the output captured.
My bike came with a black brick but it appeared to be dead when I tested it using the guide on Motoscrubs.

ranton_rambler

Postby ranton_rambler » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:05 pm

mrkprsn wrote:Ventodue, I would like a copy of your 200 SS/TS wiring diagram. Thanks.

Ian, I suppose by ungrounding the stator that changed it to 12 volts vs. 6. Thanks for the info on where the ground is.

The voltage is controlled by the regulator I think, although assumes the generator can produce a voltage exceeding the requirement. From memory I had about ~40V open circuit when I first tested it before the reg-rec was connected.
The guide I read recommended to unground the coils when converting to 12V, but as I am not an electrical engineer I can't say if it would have worked without doing it.
All I can say is that it does work, and I have no trouble maintaining ~14V with the lights on, although LED bulb in headlight.

George

Postby George » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:30 pm

Ventodue wrote:
mrkprsn wrote: In my both my parts books (Elite & 200GT) the illustration shows a 3 wire stator, but as you can see the stator (yours and mine) had only two wires <snip>

There seems to have been a short period during the mid-1960s when a 40W, two-wire stator may have been fitted.

I stand to be corrected on this, as on all things; but the wiring diagram in the April 1964 handbook for the 250 Diana and Monza labels the stator as 40W (two-wire).

But in July in the same year, in the handbook for the 250 GT and Mach 1, while it's still two-wire it's now labelled as a 60W. The wiring diagram itself doesn't appear to have been changed, just the label. (And so it continues in later handbooks, as well as in the January 1966 factory manual).

I don't know where that takes us; and maybe the April 1964 handbook just got the description wrong ... But if that isn't the case, it does open up the possibility that your 200 either got this stator from new, or that someone retro-fitted one later - ?

My Elite is 1965 model one of the last made and by then Ducati were fitting 250 engines with 200 barrel for the markets that still wanted Elites. That might explain the 2 wire stator. Only guessing, the did strange things when using up parts bins and bringing out new models
George Essex UK

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”