250 Strada Strip Down

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Duccout

Re: 250 Strada Strip Down

Postby Duccout » Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:54 pm

Progress: the engine is back in the frame, and the primary drive is on.

As I put the clutch back on I discovered something that I had missed when I took it off - the spacer behind the clutch was the wrong part and was much bigger diameter than the shaft, so the primary gear was not locating against the bearings properly. I had a look on-line and couldn't find the correct spacer for sale, so I had a search through my spares drawers and found one! I inherited lots of bits and pieces when I bought Newton Equipment's spares, and I think that some of the spacers and washers are the same size as Pantah ones.

I am hoping that this might have been the reason why the primary drive rattled so much.

Cheers,

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:49 am

Another strange find! The cam end cap on this engine has been badly butchered in the past, so I found a used one on eBay to replace it, but when I tried to fit it it is too big, it will not fit in the cam bore in the head. Okay, it would drive in, but it would not come out again. I can only assume differences in machining between Bologna and Barcelona.

I have a choice of boring the head out or turning a fraction off of the end cap, both of which I am reluctant to do, so the old one is back on.

Cheers,

Colin

LaceyDucati

Postby LaceyDucati » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:48 pm

Colin

The bore and caps are all the same....some tighter than others. Check the two lower screw holes have not "bulged" into the bore (often the case when helicoiled), this can sometimes make the cap tight. Careful scraping to relieve any bulge will sort that issue. Careful measurement with a micrometer and bore gauge should identify the culprit if it's too tight. My experience is that you shouldn't need anything more than a little wet & dry or a fine stone on the cap to obtain a nice sliding fit. All caps will be tight with the head bolts torqued down, I'm assuming the head bolts are not tight.

Regards Nigel

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:51 pm

I managed to get out for a decent run on the bike today, things all seem good (fingers crossed) although the roads were filthy and the low sun adds to the danger.

Weirdly, the indicators have packed up! I had a quick look and there is power to the handlebar switch, but it is not getting to the indicators. I guess that I must have disturbed the wiring somewhere.

Cheers,

Colin

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:01 pm

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the info, yes it is the bottom two screw holes that have bulged, I spotted it when I noticed that they were polished and were high spots. As the head was all rebuilt I didn't want to start trying to remedy it, so I fitted the old one that fits OK, maybe someone has eased it off in the past. The new one will have to wait for the next head rebuild.

Cheers,

Colin

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”